Lemony Red Lentil Soup
RECIPE: LEMONY RED LENTIL SOUP
Lentils with lemon
Recipe by Molly Neuman
This soup is such a hearty treat on a winter night. It’s quick, easy, and delicious. If you’re not a fan of the spices simply skip them. The brightness from the lemon really makes it work. I like the texture to be almost stew like. If you prefer it to be thinner, just add more liquid. All ingredients are available at the Co-op.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium carrots, diced small (about a cup)
- 1 medium onion, diced small (about a cup and a half)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups red lentils, washed and picked over
- 5 cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Juice of one lemon
- Serves 4-6 eaters. Total cost of ingredients: Less than $4.39 ( $0.70 - 1.10 per serving.)
- Directions: Add oil to a medium-sized stockpot over medium high heat.
- Once shimmering, add carrots and onions and let sweat, about 3 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and spices and combine thoroughly.
- Stir in lentils to distribute sauteed mixture evenly.
- Add liquid, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes. If too much liquid evaporates add a bit more to reach your preferred consistency.
- Once lentils are soft, add salt and pepper, and adjust to your taste.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- Serve hot and garnish with chives, Greek yogurt, hot sauce, or all three!