General Meeting Agenda 01/23/2019

Meeting Agenda

Date/Time: Wednesday, January 23, 2019,  7:00 - 9:00 pm

The Co-op: 1083 Fulton

 

Facilitator:    Chris

Note-taker: Matthew

Note-takers - please see link to secretary responsibilities.

Timekeeper:  Sarah

 

Directors Present: Chris, Matthew, Christina, 

Directors Absent:                    

Others in attendance: DK, Christina, Bianca, Theres, Amanda, Michael Thorup, John August, Josh

Any person attending may participate equally in discussions, but only Co-op members/owners may vote on any issues. Member/owners may receive work credit if they attend (allotted 1 time a year). 

Next General Meeting is March 27, 2019 at the store. Want to be a facilitator, secretary, timekeeper or to propose items for a future GM agenda? Please email board@greenehillfood.coop (work credit always allotted)

The Co-op’s 2019 meeting and store closure calendar can be viewed here.

Welcome/Orientation  7:00-7:05 (5 min)

Welcome and introductions. Brief explanation of the purpose of the Board Meeting. Questions welcomed!

 

Consent Agenda  7:05-7:15 (10 min)

A collective vote on decisions that have already been made or that don’t generally require/solicit discussion. Attendees can pull out any item they would like more discussion on, and this item will be moved to discussion at the end of the meeting. Information on all consent agenda item votes will be circulated in advance of the meeting.

            

Approve Minutes  7:15-7:20 (5 min)

Board votes whether to approve the public minutes from the board meeting. These minutes will then be ready to post online.

 

●     Link to minutes  from previous Board meeting  

1. General Manager Update  7:20-7:30 (10__min)

Michael’s been great as second temp GM and thank you Amanda. 

Compost system needs revising: 

Option 1: Deliverer of She Wolf Bread talked about partnering with us to get compost to market or community gardens. Would only do 1 pickup per week; good day would be Fridays. 

Option 2: Going through BK Rot; $20/pickup; would need 3 a week; uses bicycling transport; would be quick to start up. Is charged by weight. 

Considerations: storing necessary; farmers might be interested to pickup; Suggestion: give TempGM’s and Dev/Ops figure out a system to try for a month and report back; purchases would be necessary; target for ongoing dollar cap $80/mo; will do research this coming week

VOTE: authorise Temp GMs to try compost pickup system with minimal initial expense and $80 cap for ongoing costs: 1 abstain rest for it

Hot Water tank: went out a month ago (about New Years). No hot water for now. Will reach out to members to see about plumbing.

 

2. Committee Reports 7:30-8:00 (30 min) Add discussions as needed from committees and liaisons below.

if there is nothing to be discussed or decided but a report is needed add at the end of this agenda.

●      Finance and Investments: 
Committee chair: Bianca Orlando; Liaison: Christina Travers

○      $21.37k in accounts; a number of members who loaned to coop agreed to extend their repayments; sales have been reaching minimum of 15k since we opened; need to update fixed expenses; still don’t have precise grip on spoilage; this will help understand actual margin; temp GMs salary is about the same as what GM will be. 

○      Merch lowered ordering at end of year because last 2 weeks of year is always slow; 

○      Slowly catching up on back taxes; Josh (in attendance) willing to help out

○      Problems with vendors not being paid timely; there was confusion on their part and others was our delay on payment

○      A few hundred dollars should be set aside for hot water heater install

 

●      Merchandising: 
Committee chair: Sarah Chinn; Liaison:Christina

○      Cheese and ice cream selling more due to new fridges and freezers

○      Meeting to look at placement on floor; more attractive bread display; need to talk to finance to increase bulk to include non food items;

○      Working on having a letter to members in monthly/March

○      Do we need to buy more shelves for fridges? Brackets; parts could be bought close and easily

○      Need to ask finance; frequency of ordering things; once a week or every 2 weeks

■      We are at the cusp of increasing sales if we can get more on shelves; if we run out, people WILL buy at other places; get rid of wooden shelving? Metro shelving? Gondola shelving?

■      Shelving is a CAPITAL PROJECT

■      2 pieces to ordering; we don’t know when we ever have stuff delivered/sold; hard to get actuals, but Revel is being used for most invoicing; this process needs to be communicated with finance to make better decisions--offline meeting 

●      Marketing, (Website, Newsletter, Social Media, Instore wayfinding and signage,  Print promotion) : 
Committee chair: DK Holland; Liaison: Ahmad Shaibani

○      5 sub categories to committee: Website (content managers), newsletter, in-store signage, survey/polling, social media

■      Merch didn’t see comments, only raw numbers (will figure out offline)

○      More in store signage being made for ribbon (4hrs job), will need to be in communication with Dev/Ops about reorganizing shelf locations

○      Chad Dominick handling online and in store community board

○      Questions: do we need 6 people for social media? Each platform needs attention; social media is where non-members would go for info

○      Marketing desparately needs a co chair

            

●      Outreach: 
Committee chair: Shakima; Liaison: Ahmad Shaibani: no one from the committee here to report

  

●      Membership: 
Committee chair: Renee; Liaison: _____

○      Can’t make it as I am training 2 new members. Membership def needs some support to figure out streamlining our processes...we can’t keep up with the current workload. Mtg with Chris to hopefully figure out some more automated processes

○      PSFC FTOP work program terminate by PSFC

○      Membership update: New membership has slowed down quite a bit since store opening. 

■      340 active members: 275 full members, 65 Zukes; Can’t tell how many trials. 

■      Zukes who joined at store opening will start moving off now or have to join

■      280 store shifts per cycle (recently added 4:45 floor and all weekend floors have option for 2 floor folks)

■      208 store workers = 72 shifts open

■      90 committee/board

■      11 parental/medical leave

■      20 - 30 ppl onboarding per month

 

●      IT: 
Committee chair: Sonia Garbes-Putzel; Liaison: Chris Gollmar

○      Server change handled

                        

●      Governance: 
Committee chair: _____; Liaison Matthew Talmage

○      Governance needs a chair.

○      Needs note about filling committee

 

●      Operations and Design-Build:
Committee chairs: Emily Nonko, Lindsay Reichart; Liaison Matthew Talmage

●      Light bulbs changed? Contact folks again for fridge

○      Separate email for DesignBuild so use to ask about light bulbs

●      HR: 
Committee chair: Hannah GW; Liaison: Chris Gollmar

 

4. Committee Asks and Gives  8:05 - 8:15(10mins) (Committee Chairs and Liaisons)

Committees asks for help or support / others give below: 

 

5. AGENDA - free flowing and aspirational discussions 8:15-8:45 (30 mins)

 

●     Review process for board and general meeting agenda creation, notetaking, and disseminating minutes

○     Process: a person makes agenda, sends it out to individuals, parts added, notes taken, posted online

■     Question: posting abbreviated or full length? Abbreviated publicly and long form archived? What’s purpose of posting? To just comply that we’re posting or that we’re communicating? Transparency was most concerned about at beginning. A job for governance person to post and archive. End meeting with starting to fill out agenda for next meeting. 

■     VOTE: to post edited and approved notes that are shared before meetings; an ad will be written up and included in the weekly newsletter

■     ACTION ITEM: writing up ad for weekly = Matthew Talmage

 

 

Facilitated discussion of Marketing and Merchandising decision-making and communication with member-owners (e.g., Califia almond milk and CBD products)

○     “We strive to offer a range of local, affordable, organic, and sustainable food and household products.

○     Marketing has run Merch related content against merch advisement (CBD poll, product request question in the member poll)

○     One merch proposal: content writer(s) in the Merch committee to supply Marketing with materials

○     Can processes be moved between committees? (I.e. Marketing designs templates, Merch produces them directly, such as shelf talkers, displays, pricing signs.)

■     Big Question: Who’s producing content? Who’s making physical product/signage?

■     Article about Merch coming out that will answer a lot of questions about Merch process

■     Transparency is good, but not always possible; time consuming to elaborate on each product decision; 

■     Merch suggests that polls about products should be a collaborative process; Needs to be a process to poll content when associated with specific committees

●     Marketing doesn’t have to write content

-      FDA still considers CBD oil is a regulated drug and DEA can raid any place

-      We don’t have the logistics to dole out CBD oil

-      Friction in current conversation shows us the need for a process to alleviate problems between members/chairs, ie. mediation

-      Maybe governance can facilitate communication between committees; conflict resolution; liaisons could help communication; need to follow up on what each committee does as we started in Sept general meeting; specific mediation process should be practiced e.g. committee chairs let board liaisons know they want to go through mediation process

-      Best fit seems to be board liaison formalizing mediation process between committee chairs; between members is a separate process

 

●     Review process for mediating inter-committee conversations and decisions

●     Planning for interim board member election: Cecile stepped down at December meeting; have to fill seat by March meeting when it would be voted on; post that we have a vacant seat: 5 minimum

●     General Manager hiring update: 150 applications; seek to hire by March

 

6. Bike Rack  8:45-8:55 (10mins)(Notetaker)

orientation script, beer license, signage, shelf reorganization

 

 

Closing  8:55 - 9:00 (5 min)Board reviews votes at the end of each Meeting

Reports in writing:

 

Membership and Finance Report

 

●      Monthly membership report (link

Summary of report:

Current number of working members: ________

Number of new members and deactivated in November: __ new members,  

__ reactivated member, __ trial members

Number of existing members waiting for investment returns: _________

We’ve seen roughly a ___% increase in membership since January.

 

●     Monthly finance report  (link)             

             Summary of report: