General Meeting Agenda 04/24/2019

Meeting Agenda

Date/Time: Wednesday, April 24,  7:00 - 9:00 pm

The Co-op: 1083 Fulton

 

Facilitator: Sarah     

Note-taker: Ellen Frank

Note-takers - please see link to secretary responsibilities.

Timekeeper:  Sarah

 

Directors Present: Matthew, Chris, Christina 

Directors Absent:                    

Others in attendance: DK, Lindsay, Amanda, Bianca, Willa, Sarah

Any person attending may participate equally in discussions, but only Co-op members/owners may vote on any issues.

 

Next General Meeting is ___June 26___ 2019 at the store. Want to be a facilitator, secretary, timekeeper or to propose items for a future GM agenda? Please email board@greenehillfood.coop (work credit always allotted)

 

The Co-op’s 2019 meeting and store closure calendar can be viewed here.

Welcome/Orientation  7:00-7:05 (5 min)

Welcome and introductions. Brief explanation of the purpose of the Board Meeting. Questions welcomed!

 

Consent Agenda  7:05-7:15 (10 min)

A collective vote on decisions that have already been made or that don’t generally require/solicit discussion. Attendees can pull out any item they would like more discussion on, and this item will be moved to discussion at the end of the meeting. Information on all consent agenda item votes will be circulated in advance of the meeting.

 

Approve Minutes  7:15-7:20 (5 min)

Board votes whether to approve the public minutes from the board meeting. These minutes awill then be ready to post online.

 

●     Link to minutes from previous Board meeting  

1. General Manager Update  7:20-7:30 (10min)

financial: what's the approval process for expenditures?  Is there a limit under which no approval is needed?  (Proposal: expenditures under $100 don't need approval, but need receipts for Finance. Spending over $100 needs approval of Finance and the closest approximate committee(s), or board liaison.)

●     Settling in, meeting people, overall things going well

●     Areas to focus on: 

○     Member work productivity, especially on weekends

■     John August interested in stepping in to train new members

■     New floor attendants are wary of weekends because of high volume of traffic

○     Buyer relationship (working closely with Lindsay, Amanda, etc.)

○     General organization: flow

○     Potential member recruitment: 

■     Some members uncomfortable stopping people who just walk in

■     Potential to come up with a pitch we all know 

●     Areas could use more support on:

○     Still getting lay of land & understanding who is the best POC for what

●     Empowering her financially: Debit has $200 limit

○     Receipts have to go to Accounting (automatic if Amazon)

○     Side note: no sign for Finance committee behind the cash register

 

2. Committee Reports 7:__-_:__ (__min) Add discussions as needed from committees and liaisons below.

if there is nothing to be discussed or decided but a report is needed add at the end of this agenda.

 

●      Finance and Investments: 
Committee chair: Bianca Orlando; Liaison: Christina Travers

○      $26k in joint accounts, but lots of opening invoices (Emma scanned today)

○      Sales ~$20k per week 

○      New members, but less equity so might be why joint accounts are stagnant

○      Can invoices be moved over to office assistant responsibilities or to Ryan (new member)?

○      Merch ask: recall what sales drops will be during summer 

 

●      Merchandising: 
Committee chair: Sarah Chinn; Liaison: _____

○      Sales at $20,000/week which is higher than projected

■      Easter/Passover only fell to $19,000

○      Reiterate: cannot sell food if it is not on the shelves

 

●      Marketing: content, newsletter, strategy, social media, website, way-finding, press, print 
Acting committee chair: DK Holland; Liaison: Ahmad Shaibani

○      Outreach: materials are being developed

○      Strategy: Did 1 survey (65 responses)

■      Should have results by May meeting

○      Social Media: going well 

○      Weekly/Monthly: new banners & pictures (member testimonial)

○      Content: food writers merged with content writers, need project manager

○      Website: going well under Melissa McFarland

○      Way-finding: did a store audit

■      Next weekend: painting window for privacy & cashier shade

■      ½ and Free section: working with food writers on recipes (ex. sauerkraut!)

■      (Lost) decals on their way

■      Carla will send minutes 

 

●      Outreach: 
Committee chair: Shakima; Liaison: Ahmad Shaibani

○      Currently translating applications 

○      Advocating at Fort Greene & Bedstuy at community board meetings

○      Contacted about bike rack, no response yet

 

●      Membership: 
Committee chair: Renee; Liaison: _____

○      Report is up to date

 

●      IT: 
Committee chair: Sonia Garbes-Putzel; Liaison: Chris Gollmar

○      Meeting on Saturday, stay tuned

 

●      Governance: 
Committee chair: _____; Liaison Matthew Talmage

○      Trying to garner interest and get people excited, stay tuned

 

●      Operations and Design-Build:
Committee chairs: Emily Nonko, Lindsay Reichart; Liaison Matthew Talmage

○      Design build: trying to get IV to take over

○      Mainly streamlining project management 

○      Improving training and figuring out ways to get people trained

■      Ex. Willa to go to PS to get papers they hand out on people’s first shifts

 

●      HR: 
Committee chair: Hannah GW; Liaison: Chris Gollmar

○      Hannah no longer gets PS committee for GH 

 

4. Committee Asks and Gives  8:__- _:__ (10mins) (Committee Chairs and Liaisons)

Committees asks for help or support / others give below:

●     Skipping

 

---Interim Board Election? We have a strong nomination--

●     September is next election

●     Lindsay voted as interim board member!

○     Would like to liasion ops/build design, merch, and whatever Willa needs help with

 

5. AGENDA - free flowing and aspirational discussions

 

Proposals:

●      LCFC Inventory Purchase Proposal: Buying non-perishables from Lefferts Community Food Cooperative, after they close their store for re-organization.

○      In the spirit of cooperation and waste prevention, we would like to buy the non-perishables that are leftover after LCFC holds its closing sales. Based on a preliminary inventory that they have sent, this should be under $4,000, and approximately 80% are items that we already sell in the store (and the remainder are items that could be trialed for future inclusion.) 

○      Closing for reorganization: been struggling with community involvement, but not dissolving

○      It would be at cost at the end of the month, not discounted

○      Inventory ~$4,600 so total costs when we factor out things we do not want is <$4,000 

■      Amanda went through and actually >80% are things we already sell: Ex. 50lbs of cashews included in their inventory, but not considered "non-perishables."

■      All look like things we use or could try

○      They are meeting tomorrow

○      Remaining questions:

■      Expiration date

■      Transportation

■      Can we buy it at the last cost they offered it to members? 

■      Is there a chance we would lose if their ‘at cost’ is different from our ‘at cost’?

●      Need to check the spreadsheet

■      Do we have the space for it? Yes-- $4,000 is not that large of a quantity

■      Do we know if they only approached us? Probably not, because we are most similar to them

○      Concerns: 

■      Solidarity system, but don’t want us to go out of our way (ex. At cost, no delivery)

■      We will lose money on the 20% we don’t sell so we should not buy those products at cost

■      With the cashews / prunes situation, ensure communication with Merch is there

●      Anything bulk is not a non-perishable

○      Overall: We want to do this, transportation (10am Saturdays if possible), would like a discount, bring whatever we do not buy to Food Not Bombs

 

●      Guest Shopping Proposal: In the interest of cooperatives helping cooperatives, there is a proposal to allow members of some other cooperatives with similar membership policies to shop at Greene Hill Food Co-op.

○      Items for discussion:

■      Specifically, there is a request from CBFC (Central Brooklyn) to allow members to shop with us before their store opens, and from LCFC to let their members shop with us while their store is closed for re-organization.

●      What other cooperatives do we want to include?  Other cooperatives which rely on member labor (but are not fully member shoppers only) are Bushwick Food Coop and 4th Street Food Coop.

○      Currently, we allow PSFC members to shop at GHFC, due to the immense help that PSFC has given us.  We do not have exact numbers, but possibly around 25-30% of our sales are from PSFC members.

○      From a Merch committee standpoint: More sales are great! However, we are running into some problems where our sales might be outpacing our store labor, which leads to items not being stocked or being stocked incorrectly.

○      From a member perspective: How do we maintain our 100% working owner/shopper viewpoint, but have non-members shopping in the store?

○      Discussion: 

■      Conceiving Greene Hill as a broader system of coops… at least for right now. For LC, CB, WT coops. They would sign in the same way Park Slope members shop. All of them are small, so risk is minimal. 

■      Increasing the pool of people who could be free riders (on suspension at their own coops and we have no way to know)

■      We’ve given Park Slope members the opportunity to shop here because they helped us

■      Need to be very communicative in drafting this proposal / set of rules

○      Overall: 

■      CBFC: doing work there or here, but can still shop here till when they officially open.

●      Can shop with us until store opens  

■      LC: drafting proposal to essentially lifting membership (including labor and shopping) to Greene Hill in the interim

●      Essentially they are our members, welcome to join us 

■      Will need them to work membership rotation because this will all burden membership committee

 

●      Membership for LCFC Member-Owners Proposal: Should LCFC formally dissolve, could we create a process for LCFC members to become GHFC members with no financial investment (aka no equity)?

○      (Do we also want to offer this to Bay Ridge Food Co-op, which did dissolve?)

○      Should they ever leave Greene Hill, they would get no return

○      Their equity scale is the same as our’s (only difference is their’s is sliding)

○      We should help small coops when we can: ex. Bushwick, Windsor Terrace Food Coop vs. Park Slope is very different from us and can sometimes help financially

 

6. Bike Rack  8:00___ (10mins) (Notetaker)

 

 

Closing  8:55 - 9:00 (5 min) Board reviews votes at the end of each Meeting

 

 

Reports in writing:

 

Membership and Finance Report

 

●      Monthly membership report (link

Summary of report:

Current number of working members: ________

Number of new members and deactivated in November: __ new members,  

__ reactivated member, __ trial members

Number of existing members waiting for investment returns: _________

We’ve seen roughly a ___% increase in membership since January.

 

●      Monthly finance report  (link)             

             Summary of report: