GM Meeting Notes 9.28.16
General Meeting AGENDA Wed., September 28, 7.30 - 9.30 pm The Co-op: 18 Putnam Ave, Brooklyn
Facilitator: Jeannie Note-taker: Elizabeth Note-takers - please see link to secretary responsibilities. Timekeeper: DK
Directors Present: Jeannie & Chirstina Directors Absent: Renee & Keith Others in attendance: Alec, DK, Cecile, Elizbeth, Angelica
Any person attending may participate equally in discussions, but only Co-op members/owners may vote on any issues. Member/owners may receive work credit if they attend (allotted 1 time a year).
Next General Meeting is December 21 at the store. Want to be a facilitator, secretary, timekeeper or to propose items for a future GM agenda? Please email email@example.com.
Welcome/Orientation 7:30-7:40 (10 min) (Jeannie)
- Welcome and introductions. Brief explanation of the purpose of the General Meeting.
- Questions welcomed!
- Christina - Board member & GHFC 5 years
- DK - Long time member, works on the newsletter
- Cecile - French & works at the store as a shift leader
- Elizabeth - Works the Friday morning shift by herself
- Angelica - Store Coordinator
Consent Agenda: 7:40-7:45 (5 mins) (Jeannie)
- A collective vote on decisions that have already been made or that don’t generally require/solicit discussion. Attendees can pull out any item they would like more discussion on, and this item will be moved to discussion at the end of the meeting.
- Information on all consent agenda item votes will be circulated in advance of the meeting.
- Ratify minutes from previous Board meeting - Ratified!
- This agenda does not match website agenda
Membership and Finance Reports 7:45 - 7:55 (10 min) (Membership; Finance)
- Monthly membership report (here)
- Current number of working members: 400! (first time we’ve been at 400 since March 2015)
- Number of new members and deactivated in August: 4 new members, 1 reactivated member, 60 trial members
- Number of exiting members waiting for investment returns: under 50
Monthly finance report:
Link to Profit & Loss Summary: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0sBFqsPR1yTeTZhRTV4Vk1tbGs/view?usp=sharing
JULY 2016 SALES (31 days) TOTAL BASKETS 1,260 AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $36.03 TOTAL SALES $48,570.57 GROSS MARGIN* $11,394.29 Average daily total sales = $1,566.79
AUGUST 2016 (31 days) TOTAL BASKETS 1,212 AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $35.95 GROSS SALES $45,060.30 GROSS MARGIN* $10,644.43 Average daily total sales $1,453.56
SEPTEMBER 2016 (25 days) TOTAL BASKETS 1050 AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $38.38 GROSS SALES $41,510.08 GROSS MARGIN* $9,744.96 Average daily total sales $1,660.40
*Note: Gross Margin is Sales minus Cost of Goods Sold. Does not include spoilage. Figures are from Revel.
Liaison Updates 7:55-8:05 (10 mins) (Board:Committee Liaisons)
- Finance = working on organizing financials. back taxes, tracking private loans
- Merch = they are continually working to add new products & keeping spoilage down to a minimum
- Marketing = Newsletter is a full team effort
Committee Asks and Gives 8:05-8:25 (20 mins) (Committee Chairs)
- Committees asks for help or support / others give
- Marketing = needs graphic designers (Olivia is a designer)
- Finance = offers each committee to create a budget for the year
Store Coordinator Updates 8:25-8:35 (10 mins) (Store Coordinators)
- Composting is active again.
- This would be a good article for the Newsletter
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden checked the compost and gave their okay.
- Store Coordinators are looking for a third coordinator
- The Board would like to know what the process is for hiring a coordinator
- The Board did not agree to the hiring of another coordinator per the last GM
- Better communication needed on both sides
Institutional Membership Proposal 8:35-8:55 (20 mins) (Angelica)
- Create a Greene Hill Institutional Membership for small businesses & community organizations. This Membership Category would be non-voting and non-working.
- Institutional Members have the same purchasing options as individual members (can place special orders & shop in store) for their organization’s uses.
- Goals Build community relationships & support other local/mission aligned businesses; marketing & building membership
- The Greene Hill Member Organization will have a shared Key Fob for use by designated representatives from the organization.
- The organization will -pay an annual fee of $50. -mutually agree upon shared marketing plans (e.g. highlight in respective newsletters, co-sponsor events)
- This agreement will be reviewed on an annual basis when organizational membership is renewed.
- Example from another cooperative: “Weavers Way offers an “institutional account” to local businesses. It is a non-voting membership with a $45 annual fee.
- It allows businesses to charge purchases to their account and pay from a monthly invoice…& gives them the privilege of pre-ordering (a member-only benefit).”Susan G. Beetle; Finance Manager
- RENEE: Votes YES!
- NOT LEGAL: Per the NY Tax laws, our coop is not allowed to have an organization or business buy from the coop otherwise we will be shut down by the government.
- Our tax is specific to for the coop.
Contingency Team: 8:55 - 9:05 (10 mins) (Keith should give update)
- PSFC loan committee suggests we still have team looking for new locations should our lease be terminated early.
- Keith is out sick. Will move topic to the next board meeting
Bike Rack 9:05 - 9:15 (10 mins) (Notetaker)
- Nominees for the Board : Elizabeth, Morgan & Cecile
- Open House: Need to update signage with new hours , Flyers have been passed out
- Community: Would like to have store more presence in the community
- In store visual merchandising: the spoiling and moldy bananas are not very nice to have at the front of the store / maybe it would be better to have these items on a shelf in the back storage
Closing 9:15 - 9:25 (5 min) (Notetaker)
- Board review/approval: Board reviews votes at the end of each GM
Agenda Items for Next Month Contingency Team: 8:55 - 9:05 (10 mins) (Keith should give update) PSFC loan committee suggests we still have team looking for new locations should our lease be terminated early.