BOD Working Session 06.05.14
Board of Directors - Working SessionThursday, June 5 – 7.30 9.30pm
18 Putnam Avenue, Brooklyn
Facilitator: Rachelle Faroul Notetaker: Nick Collins Timekeeper: Hillary Frileck Bring Printed Agendas: Nick Collins
1) Finance Report, 10 mins, 7.307.40 PM, Sean
Our Treasurer, Sean, reported on sales, loan program for fridges, and POS update progress. Finance will meet with Membership to talk about the membership refund process.
2) Equipment for Merchandise, 10 mins, 7.407.50 PM, Hillary & Rachelle
Hillary and Rachelle presented a recommendation to purchase equipment from Hubert to use for the fridges and required by law to stock our food items accordingly. The total cost of material is $280. The Board members present approved the recommendation unanimously.
3) Painting the grills/Making the store more welcoming,10 mins, 7.508 PM, DK
From the outside, our Store is not visible. Marketing would like to spend $200 to make the grills more visible from afar and paint the grills one/two colors without images. It was noted that we should try and involve members of the community. The Board members present approved the recommendation unanimously.
4) Survey on Wednesday Shopping Hours, 10 mins, 88.10 PM, Nick
162 responses received; 122 voted to amend the shopping hours on Wednesday from 6-10 PM to 5-9PM to take effect as of the next B week.
5) POS Update (include hiring a Consultant), 10 mins, 8.108.20 PM, Sean
There is a possibility of extending the current counter and incorporate a third station. The third station could be used if one of the regular two break or during an open shopping day. It will also help with some of our overordering and underordering, although shopping trends will always be hard to predict. Testing and eventual purchase of the new system later this month, and implementation and training over the summer, by Labor Day.
6) Expansion Space Floor Sealing, 10 mins, 8.208.30 PM, Lawrence
Design Build prepared three estimates: $372 to seal; $634 to include partial levelling and sealing; $1,690 for levelling and sealing. The recommendation is to fix the floor and seal it afterward so the sealing will take effect without further chipping, therefore spend $1,690. This will be a positive step forward to actually using the space. The Board members present, with the exception of one, approved to pursue with option #2 for $634. Lawrence will liaise with Design Build Committee and determine a process.
7) The Win, Win, Win Benefits Program, 5 mins, 8.308.35 PM, DK
Outreach and Marketing are reestablishing contact with local businesses who will offer benefits to Coop members. More news to come!
8) Open Shopping Day [Preparation/Incentive for new member, 5 mins, 8.358.40 PM, Nick
At the GM, the question put out was to reduce the amount of equity paid. What are possible incentives we can offer non members to join on June 21? Labor requirement or receiving a discount on your groceries are possibilities. It was decided to pursue one vendor in the community who could offer a discount to all joining members during the open shopping day.
9) Expanding Work Requirement Post GM Discussion, 15 mins, 8.408.55 PM, All [Incentives: Cheaper food for folk who work above and beyond? Better coordination when missing a shift? Able to work x amount of hours and access those hours thereafter (revising banked hours’ formula…]
It was decided to revisit this topic at the working session in July with Renee and Christina. Some of our policies and procedures warrant revision before we decide how we implement any expansion. Members at the GM were in favor of expanding the work requirement, but on condition of exploring and revising some our policies in favor of our engaged members.
10) Designing systems and Protocols, 15 mins, 8.559.10 PM, Rachelle
Rachelle would like to design systems and protocols for the Merchandise team over the duration of her Board term, in collaboration with the Merch and Ops team as well as the shift leaders. We need a manual and procedures for clear communication and dissemination to working members. The process of recruiting, training and retaining shift leaders requires revision. Signage for workers in the Store will also need to be increased.
11) Allison: Mid year review; Redetermine Store Coordinator Priorities, 15 mins, 9.109.25 PM, Nick
The Board discussed Allison’s midyear review and in particular a revision of priorities.
12) GM Preparation, 5 mins, 9.259.30 PM, All