Meeting Agendas & Minutes

Board Working Session 3.6.14

Board Working Session 3.6.14

Facilitator: Nick Collins

Note-taker: Renée Bergan

Timekeeper: Nick Collins

Attending: Mindy Carner (Governance), Nick Collins, Lawrence Eichorn, Renée Bergan, Sean Mullane, D.K. Holland (via skype), Jill Hoffman and Shanon Sodano (Education)

 

Finance report:

Finance is working to complete the “request for proposal” for a new “point of sale” system, for which financing is already in place.

The Board approved securing service from a 2nd Internet provider, to avoid interruptions in processing card transactions, as happened Monday, March 3, when several shopping members could not pay for their groceries and left the Store empty-handed and angry.

Education Committee update:

-See 6 month goal responses (Need Christina to share this with Board)

-Doing: Food demos, recipes, store tours

-Exchanged ideas on how to improve these areas. Will meet with Outreach more, maybe do combo mts

Fridge update: Fridges in by SUNDAY!!!!

Election Update: March 31st due date for nominations in if going into newsletter. Ballot will be open from newsletter release to April 29 (GM) so 10 days or so. Need to make sure newsletter team gets it out no later than 18th

Agendas management: Moving forward the President will be in charge of finalizing and posting Working Session agendas and the VP will be in charge of GM agenda.

 

Next GM is March 27, agenda item suggestions are:

Finance/Membership reports 15

Finance is presenting 15

Sunday open shopping day discussion Nick 15

NON members shopping update Renee (via outreach) 5

Feedback from Co-op Teach in -Nick 5

Refrigeration report – Lawrence 5

Elections-5 reminder Mindy will send Nick/Renee 5

 

*******IMPORTANT: April WS moved to April 8

 

Greene Hill BOD Working Session – 02.04.14

Facilitator: Nick Collins
Note-taker: Michael Randazzo
Timekeeper: Christine Travers

Attending

Mindy Carner (Governance)
Nick Collins
Lawrence Eichorn
D.K. Holland
Sean Mullane
Michael Randazzo
Christine Travers

1) Finance Report: Sean Mullane
• Finance has set up a binder in the Store for any member-owner to look at. The binder will contain the latest financial information, such as: this report; weekly, monthly, annual and year-to-date sales (soon); and, eventually, the Co-op quarterly financial reports: income statements and balance sheets. GHFC could also place the Board Minutes in this binder (from the General Meetings and the Board Work Meetings). The general consensus is that the Minutes posted to the Web Site should not have Co-op financial data (as a safety precaution), but that the full Minutes with financial data will be available in the Store. The binder is labeled “Greene Hill Food Co-op: Meeting Minutes and Financial Reports.”

2) Redeeming Banked Hours:
Nick Collins
• Last year; any member can redeem up to 4 banked hours if they were in good standing; must fill out form; received 54 requests in 2013.
• Renee: show appreciation to members; increase to 6 banked hours that you can redeem
• Lawrence: will 4th shopping day be undermined by allowing members to use banked hours?
• Nick: difference between 4 and 6 hours will not hinder Sunday openings; this will impact folks who have been deactivated; we want them to come back
• Lawrence: propose 6 hours at GM; hear from membership
• AGREED: discuss at GM

3) Kickstart Elections’ Process: Mindy Carner/Governance
• Election at April GM; looking to expand the board to 9 and to replace Aaron who is retiring.
• E-mail board applications to governance; Mindy will facilitate
• Nick: put together process and timeline: Jessica (?) will work w/Mindy on this
• DK: examine roles of President and VP; explain why board needs to be increased
• Mindy: when to define the role of the officers; Christine – in the next few months; not at April election
• Governance page on the website; could explain what it means to be part of the GHFC board; members should know how hands on board is; list responsibilities; define expectations
• Sean: if we want each term to expire in three years; work backwards with current terms to determine what the terms are for two new members + one for Aaron (term expires October 2015)
• Mindy, open up voting a week before the GM; people can also be nominated from the floor at the GM/day of the election;
• Mindy: create timeline/checklist of all that need to be accomplished (email of info); Google doc with necessary information; Mindy will compile/distribute to the board
• Nominations need to be in before the March newsletter to include bios/ election coverage
• Nick: look to identify strong committee members; help them transition to board
• Sean: shouldn’t cannibalize existing committee members; Christine look for Coop members who haven’t served before
• Prioritize new board members by skills/profile; need more business background; diversity is important; community outreach; governance (lawyer); take to the membership;
• RESOLVE: Board informally commits to identify board prospects and to earmark time at next 2 BODs to discuss the election/prospective members

4) Committee Presentation: Merchandising
• Merchandising not present
• Lawrence: with Aaron leaving the board needs a new connect, why a Merch committee member is desirable for the board

5) Liaison Process Review: Nick Collins/All
• Challenging for select board members to separate from past committee relationships
• Lawrence: resetting the table on this as board doesn’t have time to commit to committee memberships
• Board liaise with committees to support but not interfere; how to determine who goes with what committee?
• Christine: board members should have a choice; agreed it’s important to mix things up; when new board members come on after April then reshuffle liaisons
• Natural connections with certain committees might be identified/encouraged/accepted
RESOLVED: Kate Kraus be second signatory on checks: board agrees (5/0); board will gladly accept a credit check from Kate

6) Finalized Contract for Allison: Nick Collins
• Question: are we treating Allison right?
• Issues: Current salary; paid vacation, time off
• For petty cash; provide a $100 cash advance for Allison

7) Revamp Ops (Operations): All
• Ops has fizzled out; question; if/how to rebuild an ops team – how to recruit people?
• DK: make a list of responsibilities;
• Nick: question of coordination; take the burden off of Allison; without member support she can’t keep the store running smoothly
• Currently no operations committee; board taking on too much logistical work. NEED OPS to take care of maintenance; need a take-charge person

8) Internal Communication:
Nick Collins
• Reduce volume of board emails; Lawrence, Yahoo is a good tool because of threaded conversations; be aware of effective communication

9) Internal Spending Limit:
All
• Christine; approval varies by amount. Between $100 and $250 board is notified; Finance Committee has to reply/acknowledge
• If more than $250 then the board must reply by a reasonable deadline
• Capital expenditures must be reported
• RESOLVED: bring to the GM for a vote

10) GM Prep (inc. Newsletter deadline):
All
• Revisiting Redeemed Banked Hours
• Kickstart Election Process
• Committee is presenting (Renee has the calendar)
• Revamping OPS
• Present Allison’s contract
• Internal Spending Limit
• Refrigeration Update
• GM on 2/18
• Have a draw for attendance (ask Events Committee work on)

Next GM is on March 27th

Board of Directors (BOD) Working Session Thursday, Jan. 09, 2014

Board of Directors (BOD) Working Session
Thursday, Jan. 09, 2014 – 7.30-9.30pm – 18 Putnam Avenue, Brooklyn.

Facilitator: Nick
Note-taker: Renée
Attendees: Sean, DK, Christina, Renée, Nick, Aaron (via skype)

 

Conclude Board/Committee Working Relationship:

In order to further the mission of the Co-op:

  • The Board creates an annual report at the end of the fiscal year (Sept. 30). This will be published on the website, linked to via social media/newsletter/etc.
  • The Board presents the annual report at the Annual Meeting (in Oct.)
  • The Board proposes its annual goals for The Co-op 120 days past the Fiscal year, at the GM.
  • Each committee meets with the Board for an in-depth discussion of their committees goals/accomplishments at one Working Session and one General Meeting per year. (The 2014 committee presentation schedule is listed here and all Working Sessions and GMs are currently on the Calendar website.)
  • Each committees completes a form detailing their 6 month goals, which they will fill out before they meet with the Board at each of these meetings
  • The GM becomes an ‘all-committee’ meeting once a year.
  • Committees will send quarterly updates via a form to the Board (this is in addition to 6 month goal form). Committees are encouraged to share these updates with the the other Committees via the committees list serve.
  • Liaisons shall maintain regular contact between the Board and the Committees, remind them to fill out forms and of bi-yearly meetings with the Board, etc.
  • Regular committee-to-committee dialogue occurs via [email protected]

 

Recommendation to GM: Policy on crediting shifts when Store closes, due to Holidays and Weather: Proposal that staff gets automatic credit when store closed due to major holidays (xmas, thanksgiving, 4rth july, new year day) and inclement weather. Will ask them if can work another day due to short staffing, and they would get additional credit. But not required.

Recommendation to GM: Policy on process to deal with cancelling members: Cancelling members must get a response within one week of cancellation. Sean will reimburse pre september former members (pre moratorium) as they received an email stating they would receive their reimbursements within 8-10 weeks.

Recommendation to GM: Policy on household members shopping on behalf of another member when they are in arrears themselves: Tabled till next working session.

Refrigeration Loan status: Determine $ Amount for Installation: We have $5550 for loan. Terms: 2-3% 5-7 years, amortization. Suggest April project manage refrigerators. DB will come to GM to discuss plan.

Discussion on extending Store open hours on Sunday: Thinking small, like 4 hrs, like 3pm-7pm. Many ppl on leave might come back (note, at least 5 said they would). Would be good for folks coming back into town from the weekend as well. This could bring in more revenue and once refrigeration is in, potentially more members. However, we can’t rely upon Allison to be there on Sundays so will need some key members to step up for 6 months to handle Sundays. Goal is to start this in spring. Will discuss more at GM.

Board of Directors (BOD) Working Session 12.03.13

Attendees:
Renee Bergan
Nick Collins
Lawrence Eichorn
DK Holland (by phone)
Sean Mullane
Christine Travers
Michael Randazzo

Facilitator: Christine
Note-taker: Michael

——————————————————————————————————————
(1) Finance Report, Sean
• Finance has set up a binder in the Store for any member-owner to look at. The binder will contain the latest financial information, such as: this report; weekly, monthly, annual and year-to-date sales (soon); and, eventually, the Co-op quarterly financial reports: income statements and balance sheets. GHFC could also place the Board Minutes in this binder (from the General Meetings and the Board Work Meetings). The general consensus is that the Minutes posted to the Web Site should not have Co-op financial data (as a safety precaution), but that the full Minutes with financial data will be available in the Store. The binder is labeled “Greene Hill Food Co-op: Meeting Minutes and Financial Reports.”

(2) Cash Management Problems in the Store, Sean
(a) From November 23 to 25, and overall:
• Issue: Procedure is $$ from cashiers is inserted into lock box in unlocked cabinet in the office area. All small bills in a combo locker; each cashier puts $$ in a separate envelope and put into “cash box”
• Incident: on 11/23 Kate looked at cashier reports; tallied the cash ($600) put in an envelope, put in the box. On 11/25 Sean looked in combo locker envelope/cash was gone.
• Sean believes that this was an oversight/lack of security protocol.

(b) Proposed solutions:
• Possible we’ve lost more; we haven’t been tracking GHFC cash.
• Cash should leave the store on the day that it’s collected (is this documented?).
• Any cash counting should be verified by a second counter.
• Suggestion: Designate GHFC member on M/W/Sa to count out cash, fill out oversight forms and ensure that deposits are made on the day of the cash collection.

(c) Approval of solutions by the Board:
• Lawrence – supports FC recommendations; this shouldn’t be a discussion point for the GM; DK agrees.
• Christine: what’s Kate’s stance?
• Sean – board subcommittee of Christine + Lawrence to oversee new procedures.

(3) Returning ex-member equity investments, Sean
(a) Board to decide in January whether to lift moratorium on processing redemptions,
• Don’t want overhang of member equity; recommend payout of 10 members a month.
• Don’t pay out more than you take in. Would like at least a 6-month payout period; Christine agrees
• Lawrence – locking up the equity so that GHFC can still function.

(b) How to help ex-members experiencing a “cash crunch”
• Looks like there are only 2 – 3 folks who need an exception to the investment moratorium. Nick and Sean will determine who gets what when.
• Priority is communication about payout situation is/when people can expect their $$.
• Lawrence: agrees to wait until January; suggests 10 refunds a month on first in/first out basis. Budget for 5 extra payouts for emergencies.

(4) Refrigeration, with Jeanne of Design/Build
• Jeanne; has one firm install bid ($4K) and will get at least one more and perhaps two
• Jeanne will speak w/ Dahlia about specific options
• Installers would prefer to have compressors on the roof + that’s the typical arrangement
• Structural integrity of roof is a (minor?) concern + aesthetics
• Vibrations are a significant concern; again; roof usual option b/c the compressors are rigged to hook up to an I-beam
• Lawrence, if you put dunnage beams on the roof likely need to file for a permit (who’s responsible for filing?)
• Jeanne – will send an email to Dahlia; ask her to discuss w/landlord about putting compressors on roof
• Sean will get a friend to price out materials and labor for I-beam dunnage on roof.
• Timeline is January at the earliest
• Sean do not want to pull from capital reserves to pay for refrigeration install.

(5) Update on member loans for fridge installation
• Christine looking to finalize terms for final loan document
• Lawrence: looks like install is approximately $10K; enough to cover all contingencies.

(6) NYS Department of Agriculture: Upcoming Visit, Sean:
(a) Board will take charge of cleaning the Store on 12/8 before NY Dept. of Agriculture inspection (NY State is already in the process of shutting us down due to 3 failed inspections)
• Clean-up will be from 11 – 3pm; DK (1pm) Sean (w/3 mops), and Christine will be there
• Cannot fail inspection again. 3 critical deficiencies will mean a shutdown.
• Sean will pay the $600 from the failed summer inspection

(b) Renee – bring the maintenance shift back
• Nick – hasn’t functioned well in the past. Lawrence schedule cleaning during receiving shifts?
• Look to create a focus on cleaning; is this a crew or a receiving responsibility?
• Way to keep members busy.
• Nick: set up a motivated team w/a set shift; dates are Mondays after store closes.
• Renee and Nick will determine/work w/Allison.

(7) Real Estate Risk, Sean
Tabling for next meeting; DK has an in-depth file on this.
(a) Sean explains potentially high medium-term risk to Greene Hill of rising real estate values (which are accelerating upward), as compared to much lower risk facing the Park Slope Food Co-op formed 2-years before New York City’s 1975 fiscal crisis
(b) Sean recommends Board delegate a subcommittee to look at risk to Co-op (losing our lease, having building sold out from under us, etc.) to report back to Board in March 2014

(8) Press discussion
• DK: article about GHFC discussion about coop growth; emphasize that we want to grow. DK will talk tomorrow;
• Important to have other members to be part of outreach / all should be conscious of the importance of positive publicity.
• DK: people should be prepped in advance of any press contact.

(9) Update on Committee Quarterly Reporting Form, Christina,
Giselle’s update form; questions of committee liaisons
• Christine: work with Cosmo on forms; got a form done but clarity of process is issue?
• Giselle’s notes – need to point out actions, more about the take-aways. Highlight/prioritize actions.
• Planning to start January with new process; discuss at GM

(10) GM Prep
Food Justice
Project Upshift
Open shopping day
Motion to Increase Number of Board Members
Approve Board Bylaws
Refrigeration
Elect officers – President, Vice-President, Treasurer and Secretary

Food Justice meeting minutes (11/11)

Attendence: Christina, Renee, Anni.

1) Surveys:  Renee will make 2 page version (done) and send to IT to get online version.  Renee will also request from Marketing a one day shopping pass to be given to folks who complete the survey. ***Still need folks to spearhead seeking out events where we can table and have folks fill it the survey in person.

2) Slightly discussed product dispute form but as none of the ppl in attendance had been working on the form, we postponed further discussion.

3) Met with Education re: how to move forward with Food tours.  We can/will connect them with folks we think would be good to invite on tours:
-Kassy will connect with Lafayette and possibly other NYCHA housing
-Renee will connect with FUREE
-Christina connected with her building
-perhaps Alix connects with some of her connections
***If you have a group you think would be good to go on a tour, pls introduce them to [email protected]

4) Outreach discussions: Would like to see more open shopping days (board looking to make this a quarterly event, will be voted on at the next GM). Education will give food demos at the store on those days to make it more of a “happening”.  Have goodie bag  (one of our tote bags with merch inside–left over vendor samples?) for folks that join that day.

FJC mtg notes 10/23/13

  • Revised Apple Plan Investment proposal for upcoming GM:
    • $25 instead of $175
    • While losing some investment income, this will open up the door for more members which means more shopping revenue
    • Apple members standing is a temporary one and will be up for review every few years
    • Current apple members, if they have already invested over $25 will have the choice of getting the amount over $25 back or keeping the full amount invested in the Co-op until they ask for their investment back
    • Action plan: Renee taking this to next GM on Tues. If supported and it’s deemed necessary, she and IT will create an online voting form so all members can vote on this proposal
  • Survey:
    • Decided to review and possibly shorten survey as some complaints were that it was too long. Will be done online by group. Deadline for this is Next FJC mtg in Nov.
    • Work with IT to get survey created and sent out to non-members twice:  once @ Thanksgiving and once again in Jan.
    • Will also have paper version available for non-member shopping days, film screening and other events.
    • Will develop incentives for ppl to fill out the survey: online will be a one time visitor shopping pass and in person will be chocolate or something.  Need to work with IT, Branding and Merch or Allison on this.
    • Will review how many surveys have been completed at end of Jan to determine how much longer will run the survey but could be till March.
    • Action plan:  Susanne will make final edits of survey after other folks have commented. Amy (and Renee if needed) will work with IT to create online survey.  Renee will ask Events when next film screening is and find out when next non-member shopping day is (required all non members must fill out if shopping). Christina will investigate other opportunities to have survey filled out.  Renee can speak with Branding re: creating visitor pass for online survey completion. Someone needs to speak with Merch or Allison re: paper survey incentive item.
  • Christina gave an update about how she’s working with other in-store entities to make sure Food Justice concerns are being addressed: mainly check-in desk and cashier training.
  • Product objection form:  Didn’t’ have time to discuss this as deeply as we wanted and we had not internet access to reference the document, but the group will review again the Product Dispute Form (this version incorporates Amanda’s edits but is not yet complete).
    • Action Plan: Susanne and/or Amy? will provide steps of process: from where/how member can submit this form and each step thereafter. (This will be something the Board and Merch will want to know- a fully thought out plan).  Once form and action plan solidified, both should be shared with Merch to see if they have concerns, and if once Merch happy, then on to the Board for approval of this plan. Didn’t’ have time to discuss a deadline for all this, but seems possible it could be completed by next mtg (minus the Board approval part).
  • Food Tours: Met with Education at the store to discuss collaborating with them on giving in store food tours to non-member groups. Education is available to give tours on Mondays (and Allison said this is the best day). Education will be coming to next FJC mtg to continue discussion, but basic idea is: if FJC has groups they want to reach out to or receive a tour, they will help coordinate/schedule the tour btwn Education and that group.  Education will primarily give the tours, however if needed or desired, the FJC can also give them as there is a food tour script that can easily be followed.  Education will send their current script(s) to FJC who will review and add any FJ concerns if necessary.
    • Action plan:  Kassy, pls help coordinate a Lafayette NYCHA tour with Education. Alix, new Outreach co-chair, will also be assisting in reaching out to groups.  Any other folks, pls also do the same.
  • Newsletter: Didn’t have time to discuss, will move to next mtg but Suzanne suggested having a monthly FJ paragraph in newsletter. If someone wants to take this on, let the group know.
  • Next mtg: We decided to keep mtgs on the 2nd Monday of the month and at 40 Putnam Ave. So next mtg is Nov. 11, 7-9Someone pls volunteer to bring a laptop and take notes.  On Agenda should be (if not completed by then):
    • Approval of shortened Survey (or reformatting completed)
    • Approval of Product Placemen Form/Procedure (and possibly collaboration with Merch)
    • Cont’d conversation/brainstorming with Education re: food tours
    • Newsletter blurb
    • other suggested items

 

GHFC BOD Working Session Meeting Notes 10.01.13

Attending: Nick Collins, Sean Mullane, Christine Travers, Lawrence Eichorn

Note-taker: Michael Randazzo

Timekeeper: Christine

 

1) Finance Report (Sean) Amended for web posting

  • Finance has set up a binder in the Store for any member-owner to look at.  The binder will contain the latest financial information, such as: this report; weekly, monthly, annual and year-to-date sales (soon); and, eventually, the Co-op quarterly financial reports: income statements and balance sheets.  GHFC could also place the Board Minutes in this binder (from the General Meetings and the Board Work Meetings).  The general consensus is that the Minutes posted to the Web Site should not have Co-op financial data (as a safety precaution), but that the full Minutes with financial data will be available in the Store. The binder is labeled “Greene Hill Food Co-op: Meeting Minutes and Financial Reports.”

 

2) Membership Update + Recommendation (Nick)

  • Three things: invite Jonathan; Upshift Project to next WS meeting (November); what to do about members with 0 hours in 2013

  • William – GHFC member – has great insights about membership: Board needs to hear about what might be possible; members who can be productive during their shifts.

  • Jonathan – outside set of eyes; plus expertise; thing between now and January to make improvement

  • Deactivate people who have not been working in 2013; those who haven’t been working over the past two months; those who fall off for six months have to re-activate their memberships

  • A lot of members who have 0 hours for the last few months. Move them off the rolls so that we can see who are the active members are working.

  • Motion: those who have been off for 6 months should go into limbo <Agreed>

  • Cannot expand our hours from a labor perspective.

  • Mathias; has set up software that requires that you have four hours of work (in past 8 weeks) to shop; policy is you have to make up two hours to shop; question about how lenient GHFC should be.

  • Is this something that is even worth taking to a GM?

  • Lawrence, jumping from 0 hours to 2 hours; we also want his $; going to 2 from 0 is good.

  • Christine: when you are in the hole for 4 it’s hard to overcome

  • Sean: let’s do 2 for the balance of 2013; takes many, many years for a start-up business to prosper; a message to emphasize to the members.

  • Nick: will talk to Matias about changing the software to suit.

  • Christine: has to be a marketing piece that is marketing with products

  • Sean: retailing

 

3) Expanding Board from 7-9 members (Sean/all)

  • Sean: based on my experience, need more people to manage the organization

  • Christine: would only benefit the coop

  • Lawrence: originally was to be nine members for diversity sake; to go to nine now is a no-brainer

  • Christine: twice a month is a serious commitment for any member.

  • Sean: will nine members be unwieldy for decision-making? Lawrence; should not be an issue

  • Nick: in recruiting 2 – 3 new board candidates; would be great to look at the candidates and to ascertain that the right candidates – with available time – are selected. It’s to our benefit to have diversity of experience and can meet the minimum requirements of the position.

  • Gisele: let this go to the GM as a general item in October; let membership vote on this in November.

  • Lawrence: discuss and vote for new board members by November. <Agreed>

 

4) Non-member shopping; future plans

  • After the fall event, huge boost in sales; question of how often to have non-member shopping days.

  • Lawrence: Park Slope allows you to do a shop with a member only once; keeps a DB of the guests. Could GHFC find a way to track these visitors?

  • Sean: if this is more frequently might suppress membership outreach for new members

  • Lawrence: public events will give outreach something to work with; target dates in coordination with upcoming holidays.

  • Nick: someone needs to recruit the shoppers to be member; experiment and evaluating the results

  • Renee: hold events it quarterly; people might take advantage; “Why should I join when others don’t;” doesn’t respect the membership

  • Lawrence: this is retailing, this is getting people in the door.

  • Nick: will make a great conversation for the October GM; go to the GM (end of the agenda) with two options to discuss.

  • Renee: needs a lot of effort to get people in the door; frequency is the issue

  • Christine: need outreach resources to make this an effective recruiting opportunity

 

5) Apple Plan (Renee)

  • Food justice committee looks to open up the store to the community; concern is GHFC is too exclusive, too white, and too middle class.

  • Alternative to the Apple plan: $5 admin; $20 investment fee (refund); will get more lower income folk in more quickly; losing $125 per member but get more members and get more shopping.

  • Nick: like the idea of mobilizing; do we have the resources to connect with the community about this plan? How do we recruit enough people to shop to offset the reduced membership fees.

  • Recruiting members in communities that GHFC is not familiar with.

  • October 21 is food day; look to make this an event for the community; or make October GHFC awareness month.

  • Christine: just reducing the amount of the investment is not enough; need education; getting better with what we offer; our products may not be accessible to this new population; can’t come in here and buy staples for a reasonable price.

  • Renee: doing tours for groups; this is a long-term project; tours with NYCHA and FUREE; food justice could work with select groups for outreach; create surveys for potential membership groups.

  • Lawrence: pressure on merchandising being sold to react to this demand

  • Sean: need an effective strategy for inventory; Park Slope has high and middle price items to appeal to broader groups; putting 26 hour a year is worth more then the amount of membership that might be generated.

  • Nick: take this to the GM as a clear proposal that might be presented/facilitator.

  • Renee: put in an email to Park Slope to get their opinion about how this might be proposed to the GM

 

6) Update – Committee Liaisons: Role + Allocation of BOD members

  • Gisele requested a meeting with co-chairs to finalize the liaison role proposal.

  • Lawrence: what was the response to the specific e-mail?

  • Christine: need a more grounded discussion

  • Nick: who is leading the committees?; is this an all-committee meeting before the GM?; Or, is this a discussion for the GM

  • Gisele has agreed to facilitate this discussion

  • Lawrence: need an hour at the GM for this discussion.

  • Christine: do this at a BOD WS with all co-committee members; would be a single channel meeting; relationships between the committees and the board

  • Lawrence: need to have things ready for this meeting in advance

  • Christine: budgeting will be a challenge; this will be a start – establishing goals for the next six months

  • Lawrence: plan ahead; must bring it up now; reach out to Gisele to set this up/guide this through

  • Nick: each board member liaise with a specific committee; need to revisit; where best will each board member’s specific skill set work?

 

7) October GM Prep (who/how/what) — including officer elections

  • Officer Elections (President, Vice-President and Secretary) – think about the executive roles/share with governance

  • Materials for GM

  • Programming for the GM; Christine, wants something of substance; not food presentations.

  • Sean: GM had been used to recruit new members; Lawrence, recruitment is long passed

  • Nick: thinking about kick-starting strategic planning process?

  • Lawrence: will prep for GM – need a list for people to sign up, the agenda, some brochures

Food Justice Meeting-Minutes 10/23/2013

FJC Meeting Notes 10/23/13

 

  • Revised Apple Plan Investment proposal for upcoming GM:
    • $25 instead of $175
    • While losing some investment income, this will open up the door for more members which means more shopping revenue
    • Apple members standing is a temporary one and will be up for review every few years
    • Current apple members, if they have already invested over $25 will have the choice of getting the amount over $25 back or keeping the full amount invested in the Co-op until they ask for their investment back
    • Action plan: Renee taking this to next GM on Tues. If supported and it’s deemed necessary, she and IT will create an online voting form so all members can vote on this proposal

 

  • Survey:
    • Decided to review and possibly shorten survey. Will be done online by group. Deadline for this is next FJC mtg in Nov.
    • Work with IT to get survey created and send out to non-members twice: once at Thanksgiving and once again in Jan.
    • Will also have paper version available for non-member shopping days, film screening and other events.
    • Will develop incentives for ppl to fill out the survey: online will be a one time visitor shopping pass and in person will be chocolate or something. Need to work with IT, Branding and Merch or Allison on this.
    • Will review how many surveys have been completed at end of Januray to determine how much longer will run the survey but could be till March.
    • Action plan: Amy (and Renee if needed) will work with IT to create online survey. Renee will ask Events when next film screening is and find out when next non-member shopping day is (required all non members must fill out if shopping). Christina will investigate other opportunities to have survey filled out. Renee can speak with Branding re: creating visitor pass for online survey completion. Someone needs to speak with Merch or Allison re: paper survey incentive item.

 

  • Christina gave an update about how she’s working with other in-store entities to make sure Food Justice concerns are being addressed: mainly check-in desk and cashier training.

 

  • Product objection form: Didn’t’ have time to discuss this as deeply as we wanted and we had not internet access to reference the document, but the group will review again the Product Dispute Form (this version incorporates Amanda’s edits but is not yet complete).
    • Action Plan: will provide steps of process: from where/how member can submit this form and each step thereafter. (This will be something the Board and Merch will want to know- a fully thought out plan). Once form and action plan solidified, both should be shared with Merch to see if they have concerns, and if once Merch happy, then on to the Board for approval of this plan. Didn’t’ have time to discuss a deadline for all this, but seems possible it could be completed by next mtg (minus the Board approval part).

 

  • Food Tours: Met with Education at the store to discuss collaborating with them on giving in store food tours to non-member groups. Education is available to give tours on Mondays (and Allison said this is the best day). Education will be coming to next FJC mtg to continue discussion, but basic idea is: if FJC has groups they want to reach out to or receive a tour, they will help coordinate/schedule the tour btwn Education and that group. Education will primarily give the tours, however if needed or desired, the FJC can also give them as there is a food tour script that can easily be followed. Education will send their current script(s) to FJC who will review and add any FJ concerns if necessary.
    • Action plan: Kassy, pls help coordinate a Lafayette NYCHA tour with Education. Alix, new Outreach co-chair, will also be assisting in reaching out to groups. Any other folks, pls also do the same.

 

  • Next mtg: We decided to keep mtgs on the 2nd Monday of the month and at 40 Putnam Ave. So next mtg is Nov. 11, 7-9. Someone pls volunteer to bring a laptop and take notes. On Agenda should be (if not completed by then):
    • Approval of shortened Survey (or reformatting completed)
    • Approval of Product Placemen Form/Procedure (and possibly collaboration with Merch)
    • Cont’d conversation/brainstorming with Education re: food tours
    • Newsletter blurb
    • other suggested items

GHFC BOD Working Session Meeting Notes 09.03.13

ATTENDING:

Aaron Zueck Lawrence Eichorn

April Taylor Nick Collins

Christina Travers Pablo Armijo

DK Holland Sean Mullane

Notes: Michael Randazzo

 

(1) — Discuss/revise Board Mission Statement
Goal: Finalize between Working Session and General Meeting for discussion/approval at General Meeting.

  • DK: obligation to members; empowering membership + long-term goals and strategy <good synopsis?>; renew our vows (Board) at the beginning of each annual meeting

  • Christine: board mission vs. coop mission; differentiate

  • Pablo: Already worked this out in August meeting at GHFC <facilitated by Giselle>

  • Nick: need to have a simple encapsulation of mission

  • DK to tweak and share with Board for final comment before presentation at GM Sept. 26 <Agreed>

 

(2) – Continuation of brainstorming on how the Board will work with Committees – to be presented to committees (at October Working Session?) and to the Membership (October General Meeting?):

Nick: working session with at least one co-chair from the committees

a) — Each (November?) the Board proposes a (12 month?) roadmap and a prioritized list of Co-op wide goals to the committees, at a meeting of the Board and the committee co-chairs, the membership – at a GM, and the General Coordinator, who can attend either of above meetings

  • <Agreed>; will generate an annual plan in January

 

b)– Each committee creates and commits to their own (6? 12 month?) goals.

  • Pablo: committees should generate 3 – 6 month plans in contrast to board’s 12 month planning; 6 month goals; 2 mandatory WS attendance per year

  • Sean: each committee commits to specific goals and means of measurement backwards and forward

  • Christine: map to a typical calendar cycle for committees

  • April: 12 committees; 2 committees present at each BOD working session and then a 6-month follow up

  • Lawrence: 2 per month; math works out

  • DK: committees attend a working session every 6 months; how much time can we devote? Less insular; welcome more folks in.

  • April: 20 minutes per committee per working session; 2 per WS; 11 WS meetings;

  • Christine: Committees should be doing bulk of the work; 30 minutes is adequate/expected

  • April: committees can come whenever they want BUT have to come a minimum of twice per year; anyone can come and present

c) — The Board has liaisons to each committee that check-in monthly.

  • In October determine who will be new liaisons

  • Lawrence: liaison set-up is working in his two committees; board needs to be held accountable; each board member should report at WS

  • Nick: concepts work but need to work on the mechanics

 

d) — A large part of each GM meeting is devoted to an in depth prepared update from a committee on its progress towards its goals (Governance in January, Merchandising in February, Marketing in March, etc.)

  • Nick: Ask committees one-by-one to present at GMs?

  • Sean: GM is direct democracy; valuable to encourage participation by committees

  • April: calendar for the board; look at global planning focus – plug in committee responsibilities; schedule kept; Michael responsible for GHFC website calendar

  • Sean: start with a plan and then determine where it goes

  • Nick: Examples prior of the newsletter and marketing committees presenting; website in September

 

e) — All committee co-chairs meet together quarterly to share progress and collaborate.

  • Nick: I think we agreed that it will take both time and energy to get committees both to the GM and WS as indicated, and that having 2 committees at each WS will already promote interaction between committees

 

f) — Part of each Board working meeting is focused on planning, executing, and removing roadblocks around one particular goal. Appropriate committee members are invited in advance.

  • Pablo: as needed, absolutely take this approach – case in point; rodent-proofing store.

  • Nick: all the documentation for working with committees to be presented at the Sept GM so that by Oct we can liaison by e-mail with individual committee heads in advance of Oct WS

  • Get liaison assignments for all BOD April: need one e-mail template to make these connections; each Director will liaison directly with their committees

  • Pablo: e-mail ready by next Wednesday to be sent out? Yes; April will draft.

  • DK: give language/depth to BOD responsibilities for liaison; clarify nature of communication

  • Lawrence: keep dialogue w/committees open so all board members can see it; Pablo agree; board will share informative responses.

 

(3) – Committee Support

a) — Membership committee: impacting *recruitment* as well as *staffing.* Complete committee overhaul required.

  • Membership is scheduling a “reboot” meeting for October 10

b) — The website committee has also requested that we think about the (current) goal of the website.  (see recommendation); committee to present (with our feedback) at the September GM – also need to recruit two new co-chairs

  • Look at Website Committee: very open to feedback; looking for a new committee chair

  • Nick: WS committee is going through a massive transition; recruit new members at the GM; need more strategy for the site as the coop grows; committee has lost ownership of the site b/c it’s become a dumping ground for information; want to simplify site for sharing of information.

  • Deadline for members transitioning away by end of September; notice in newsletter (?)

  • April: next chair needs to take ownership/define the role of the site (unclear how GHFC will separate web responsibility from other social media, etc.); give the new chairs to figure out leadership plan.

  • DK: offers to be website and newsletter liaison; social media all tied together; get website connected to other community organizations/raise profile of GHFC website

  • Pablo: recruiting tool; opens the door for interest and can close interest if not site is not effective; FB page far more popular/useful

  • Sean: newsletter should have links to websites; need integration between media

  • Christine: focus of website should be to convert members

  • Pablo: blog as the destination for user requests/upload member info

  • Sean: someone needs to moderate this.

  • Aaron: don’t have the capability to make web a useful tool for membership; can’t even keep calendar updated.

 

(4) – Update on Fall Elections

  • Process of the election; when will the link for online voting be live? Use GHFC key fob (confirm)

  • Results to be presented at the Sept GM

  • Vote in the store? Security standpoint; who will coordinate – governance need to step up and be responsible.

  • April: paper ballots at the store is good; sometimes low-fi is more effective than high-fi;

  • Nick: online is ideal; Mindy Carner (governance) needs to be consulted for paper ballots; what’s the procedure (present, debate + voting protocol)

  • For election clarify what the board does (up above)

  • Lawrence: bios in the newsletter; Mindy is also on top of this; where does this be announced; onsite voting at Fall Festival; lock box set up (governance to facilitate); look to make voting as inclusive as possible.

 

(5) — Fall Event

  • Consensus: Renee has things all under control.

  • Lawrence; fine for money; if needed ask for specific things at committees@ greenehillfood.coop

  • Christine: indemnity question; Lawrence will check on this.

  • DK: Mural painting day will be during the event.

  • Pablo: concern about paint

 

(7) — Update/recommendation from Finance

  • Finance has set up a binder in the Store for any member-owner to look at.  The binder will contain the latest financial information, such as: this report; weekly, monthly, annual and year-to-date sales (soon); and, eventually, the Co-op quarterly financial reports: income statements and balance sheets.  GHFC could also place the Board Minutes in this binder (from the General Meetings and the Board Work Meetings).  The general consensus is that the Minutes posted to the Web Site should not have Co-op financial data (as a safety precaution), but that the full Minutes with financial data will be available in the Store. The binder is labeled “Greene Hill Food Co-op: Meeting Minutes and Financial Reports.”

 

(8) — September General Meeting Preparation

  • Also, the discussion on “who” prepares the GM was clarification among us, and should be revisited among us in October whether or not we can delegate GM to another committee (Events and/or…..) <Nick clarification>

  • Won’t talk about Apple plan adjustment.

  • Agenda for GM; events do this in October (Board must impose)

    • Elections

    • How Good – speaker on GM (in October)

    • Ratify Board Mission

    • Committee relationship

    • Finance

    • Membership

    • Finance – POS info

Food Justice Committee Mtg | July 8th 2013

A2Jk1CSCUAIzq7f

Food Justice Com Meeting Monday 7/8

 

Present: Amy, Christina, Kareem, David

Agenda items: 1. Procedure for dealing with disputed products; 2. Survey update

Procedure for dealing with disputed products

-We updated Kareem about the meeting in May with members of merch and began to brainstorm about a method for dealing with disputed products.

-The following is a basic idea of what we came up with as a procedure: (NOTE: we realize that this was a small meeting and people who specifically wanted to work on this were not present. So keep in mind that this is being put out there for vigorous feedback and development!)

1. members who have a problem with a product can fill out a form stating the nature of the problem and their interpretation of how it falls into specific standards of ethical production.

-there is a need for a more specific (but not too specific) document that lists the kinds of unethical production practices that would operate as a blueprint for members who wish to initiate a change in buying. Some of those specific things to be built into a proper document, which we felt it would be good to use the language that these are standards we strive to satisfy, but these things are not automatically grounds for any specific action.

A. Labor:

-organized or worker-owned; no discrimination based on gender, sexuality, race or immigration status; living wage (maybe there’s a specific research center/nonprofit that can be our measuring stick) and healthcare; safe working conditions

B. Land (we should look to recent “Rights of Nature” constitutions in South America):

-minimize env. impact due to transport; sustainable agriculture and fishing; minimize conversion of forests to farmland/pasture

C. Animal Treatment and Testing

D. Political Context of Production

-if the political situation in a national territory exacerbates A, B, and C over an entire geographic region, then we will consider a general boycott.

2. When the form is filled out and the member wants the coop to officially boycott a product, then the product research working group in the FJC turns into an official panel that includes other specific members from other committees. (requests to simply stop buying a specific product and substitute a better option will not involve this procedure). The specifics of this panel would need to be put out there and transparent (ie. how many people, from what committees, serving for how long, etc).

 

3. The panel makes a decision on the boycott by weighing the various issues. However, the decision of the panel can be overturned by an ‘up or down vote’ by the whole membership (ie. voting on the matter, not voting on whether or not we’ll vote or anything like that).

Survey update

There wasn’t too much to say here other than that we’ve collected feedback from all the other committees and while there was great input there were not any major changes. So the survey folks will make those changes stat. A serious plan for distribution is needed.