Meeting Notes

GM Agenda: Feb. 22, 2017

Welcome/Orientation 7:00-7:04 (4 min)
Welcome and introductions. Brief explanation of the purpose of the Board Meeting. Questions welcome!

Meeting Agreements 7:05-7:06 (1 min)
1 Diva, 1 Mic (1 person speaks at a time)
• No one knows everything, together we know a lot
• Be aware of time
• Recognize/respect the role of facilitator

Consent Agenda 7:05-7:20 (15 min)
A collective vote on decisions that have already been made or that don’t generally require/solicit discussion. Attendees can pull out any item they would like more discussion on, and this item will be moved to discussion at the end of the meeting. Information on all consent agenda item votes will be circulated in advance of the meeting. Link to minutes from previous Board meeting and review action items/assigned tasks.

1. Store Coordinator Update 7:20-7:25 Lauryl Berger-Chun (Store Coordinator)

2. Committee Reports 7:25- 7:40 (15 min) If there is nothing to be discussed or decided put report in writing at the end of this agenda. Add discussions if needed from committee chairs and liaisons below

Finance (Committee chair Bianca Orlando, Liaison Jeannie) (SEE BRIEF ITEMS, REPORTS)
Merchandising: (Committee chair Sarah Chinn, Liaison Jeannie)
Marketing (includes newsletter, social media, website): (Committee chair Ray Jolicoeur, Liaison DK)
Outreach: (Committee chair Jill Hoffman, Liaison DK)
Membership: (Committee chair Chad Donnick, Liaison Cecile) (SEE REPORTS)
Investment: (Committee chair Renee B, Liaison Cecile) SEE REPORT BELOW
IT: (Committee chair Misha Avrekh, Liaison Cecile)
Governance: (Committee chair Mira De Jong, Liaison Christina LeMoine)
Operations: (renamed from Design build/Operations) (Committee chair ___, Liaison Elizabeth Agee)
HR: (Committee chair Megan Curran, Liaison Christina LeMoine)
Beer license

3. Clarifying Greene Hill’s Organizational Structure 7:40 -7:55 (15 min) (Lauryl)

4. Committee Asks and Gives 7:55-8:05 (10 min) (Committee Chairs and Liaisons)
Committees asks (for help or support from others) and gives below:

Marketing
– will need significant technical help during the period we move Web site platforms (in March?); it would be great if we could identify a team of individuals with the requisite skills at our disposal for that time.
– will also need support on the graphics/visual/photography and copy fronts for same web site project.
– needs to staff up the Social Media team. Right now there is only one person (Morgan) handling all social media team and has communicated that she would like to have additional people on board as well as someone to take over the lead on the sub-committee. Perhaps membership can help identify potential individuals that we can reach out to? We should also post something in newsletter.

Staff & Member Labor Assessment
We have critical gaps on in store shifts, Merch, Membership & Finance that need to be prioritized (as well as the lease & relocation team). Member Labor hours are a finite resource, so any other committee work taken on by members must be in addition to a regular in store shift. -Lauryl
– E.g., Marketing committee: How many members are actively working on the committee? Can some members transfer to more other shift/committees that have urgent needs?

5. Lease Committee and Relocation 8:05 -8:25 (20 min)
What is the current situation we’re faced with at 18 Putnam? What are the opportunities? What actions will we take? DK, Cecile

6. Brief Items 8:25 -8:35 (10 min)
• New board member: we now need two new board members
• Assign role to board members: president, secretary, treasurer.
• PSFC liaison? (Renee B have been the liaison with PSFC for the loan committee)
• Member/owners may receive work credit if they attend (allotted 1 time a year).
• Sharing financial information with members (Cecile)
• Adjust Finances – Budget below (Jeannie)
— Decrease spending
— Increase payroll
— Allot dedicated money for committees
— Create a capital budget

7. General Agenda 8:35-8:45 (10 min) – free flowing and aspirational discussions – the state of the Co-op

Bike Rack 8:45-8:55 (10 min) (Notetaker)

Closing 8:55-9:00 (5 min) Board reviews votes at the end of each Meeting

Reports in Writing:

Membership and Finance Report
Monthly membership report (to be filled out at meeting).
Summary of report:
– Current number of working members: 470
– Number of new members and deactivated in January: 23 new members, 3 reactivated member, 53 trial members
– Number of members waiting for investment returns: 253 and 28 in priority queue.

We’ve seen roughly a 10% increase in membership since the beginning of October, which is when we opened 7 days a week.

New feature in place that will automatically email a member who checks in to shop with low hours. Membership is copied on the email. This started in mid-January. Membership is tracking emails to look for members who frequently shop with low hours and will follow-up with them.
On a monthly basis, Membership will review the check-in log to see who is checking in with low hours. Upon verifying they have low hours, we’ll send an email to them. Would like to do this weekly or bi-weekly, but it depends on membership labor availability.

Membership is working on an updated report of active members. The active/working members hasn’t been audited since the beginning of 2015. We need to figure out who in the list of active members are shopping & working and follow up with those members who have been dormant for more than 6 months.

Membership desk has its first shift on Saturday, February 12 thanks to member Caolan Hunter and additional shifts from Alex Peters & Sabine Bernard on 2/18 and 2/19. The ultimate goal is to have membership desk coverage for 1 shift every Saturday & Sunday.

Monthly finance report – link to Profit & Loss Summary
Summary of report: Current column to be filled out at meeting.
 

Feb 1 – 21, 2017 January 2017 Feb 1 – 21, 2016
NET SALES $60,953 $33,602
Transactions 1,706 711
Average transactions $35.83 $47.26

 

Investments Report (Renee Bergan):
– I would love to see us tackle the priority folks this year. I don’t have a full figure on what that number is, I can find that out. But at most it would be $4k. If handled via monthly payments over one year this could be a feasible thing….but again I know the potential move and rent increase is daunting and first priority. Nevertheless, I’ll try to get a firm $$ number on this before the mtg.
– Also FWIW, since everyone was so concerned about this investments stuff. The number of requests per month is super minor, only a couple per month. The issue was the lack of communication. Most ppl while they may not be happy with the answer, are very satisfied once they’ve been communicated with. So the “investments concern/problem child” is no longer.

General Meeting Notes 1/25/17

General Meeting Notes
Wednesday, January 25th, 2017, 7:30 – 9:30 pm
The Co-op: 18 Putnam Ave, Brooklyn
Facilitator: Jeannie
Note-taker:  Cecile
Note-takers – please see link to secretary responsibilities.
Timekeeper: Ray
Directors Present: Jeannie, DK, Cecile, Lauryl, Elizabeth, Christina
Directors Absent:
Others in attendance: Reina Kennedy, Tess Dworman, Emma Hedditch, Erika McGinty, Lindsay Reichart, Gunnar Burke, Ray Jolicoeur
Any person attending may participate equally in discussions, but only Co-op members/owners may vote on any issues. Member/owners may receive work credit if they attend (allotted 1 time a year).
Next General Meeting is February 22nd 2017 at the store. Want to be a facilitator, secretary, timekeeper or to propose items for a future GM agenda. Please email [email protected].

Welcome/Orientation  7:30-7:35 (5 min)

Welcome and introductions. Brief explanation of the purpose of the Board Meeting. Questions welcomed!

Consent Agenda  7:35-7:40 (5 mins)

A collective vote on decisions that have already been made or that don’t generally require/solicit discussion. Attendees can pull out any item they would like more discussion on, and this item will be moved to discussion at the end of the meeting. Information on all consent agenda item votes will be circulated in advance of the meeting.

  • Ratify minutes from previous Board meeting  ratified: yes:11 abstention:1

1. Store Coordinator Update  7:40-7:50 (10min)

  • Updates for new hires Amie & Raina  Working members do not need to pay investment but if they stop working at the Coop they can only stay member if they pay investment.

2. Membership and Finance Report  7:50-8:05 (15min)

  • Monthly membership report (here)need update
    • Current number of working members: 437
    • Number of new members and deactivated in November: 15 new members,  2 reactivated member,  41 trial members
    • Number of existing members waiting for investment returns: under 50 as per GM 10/26/16
    • We’ve seen roughly a 25% increase in membership since January.
  • Monthly finance report

 

3. Boards Re-organization 8:05-8:20 (15min) (Board)

  • Tabled from last meeting:
    • GHFC accounts Doc. Update access spreadsheet  Sean Mullane can update
    • GHFC Board/Chairs contact list to be updated Cecile will share the doc with committee chairs for update
  • Vote for a new President: Postponed until we find another other board member
  • Reassign tasks taken on by Keith:  List tasks
  • Recruiting a new board member:  Reach out to members through the website, next newsletter, talking around If you are interested please e-mail at [email protected]
  • Clarify board members liaison roles :
    • Finance & Merchandising: JEANNIE
    • Marketing & Website: DK
    • Outreach: DK through Ray Jolicoeur
    • Membership & Investment: CECILE
    • IT: CECILE
    • Store coordinators: CHRISTINA
    • Governance: CHRISTINA
    • Operations: ELIZABETH (renamed from Design build/Operations)
    • HR: CHRISTINA
    • Relocation: CECILE
  • Lauryl is pointing out that the board members need to read the bylaws about the ex-officios board members for compliance issue (only one ex-officios allowed). DK suggested to amend bylaws. Christina to reach out to Governance to check on this issue.

4.  Committees updates  8:20-8:50 (30min) (Committee liaisons)

  • Finance= Report presented by Jeannie at the meeting
  • Merch=
    • The Merch team has noticed that the glass front fridges are breaking down with more frequency. Elizabeth to reach out to Operation to fix the problem.
    • Merch has started to switch buying by categories, in general we need more members for categories and at the moment  Merch really need one member for “Snacks” and one for “Frozen”.
  • Beer license= Lindsay Reichart, Gunnar Burke, Todd Miner are taking over the completion of the beer license. Lindsay went through the application, it needs some updates, and re-signing. Time frame 6 months. We can only do beer, NY state does not allow to have beer and wine (it would require a different license).
  • Marketing= Ray, has been able to reach many members of the marketing team. Some Co-op Board shared their thoughts and ideas for marketing priorities for 2017

Updates on 3 main priorities:

    • Update on website Erika is working on the revamping
    • Update on Newsletter and Social Media – Meeting 2/1/17 – Update at Next Board meeting
    • Update on plans for eventual storefront upgrade so that passers-by can:
      • understand what the Co-op is about
      • be motivated to join
      • Better overall esthetics
      • More complete update at a future Board meeting
    • Create a sign for the delivery hours – Ray is coordinating
    • Next Open House: proposed date April 8th. Verious ideas have been explored by the Outreach Committee such as a raffle (yoga teacher,… using members resources to offer prizes – see Outreach committee for details)
    • New project to establish member services directory so we can add it to the website. Marketing will work with Membership and Outreach committees to establish this directory.
  • IT= Misha is compiling some stand alone tasks for potential IT helpers, Cecile sent doc. to Marketing and Membership to add/edit tasks list.  Also to propose reaching out to Park Slope for recruiting, voted YES Misha please reach out to Park Slope.

5. Committee Asks and Gives  8:50-9:00 (10mins) (Committee Chairs)
Committees asks for help or support / others give

  • Marketing = Marketing needs the profiles and pictures from every board member – please.
  • Merch= Looking for a buyer to take over snacks.
  • Finance = Requesting budget from each committee. Relocation needs a recommendation about maximum rent
  • Gov= needs assistant
  • Membership/Investments = Communication with Finance
  • IT = Update from last meeting question: Is [email protected] account redirecting email to the committee chairs?

Misha answered: [email protected] redirects to the respective committee mailing lists and not to individual chairs or members. Committee chairs all have the primary responsibility for managing the lists for their own committees.

  • Operation= Relocation needs helps for “move budget”, also need a budget to replace refrigerator and freezer in the store in case they totally break down.

6. Lease Committee and Relocation  9:00- 9:15 (15mins) (Board)

  • Update on the current situation DK:  The case was dismissed in court January 3rd because Collymores’ lawyer was absent. A meeting is set-up to meet with Renee collymores to discuss: Renee apparently want for us to give up the expansion space. Letisha James will be present. DK, Christina, and Matthew will attend.
  • Relocation (Matthew and Cecile):
    • Meeting with Eric Adams Borough President 01/12/17: empathetic to our cause but pointed out that real estate prices are high in our neighborhood. He suggested we follow up with Richard Bearak, Borough Land Use Director.
    • Meeting with Robert Perris CB2 District Manager 01/12/17: he was familiar with our circumstance. We discussed Coop options moving forward: (CB=Community Board)
      • Garden of Eden: Obtaining empty lot from the city: dissuaded because the containers would be a huge hassle; starting from scratch
      • Angel: someone that would help the coop buy a space for us to have permanently; he had spoken with a friend at the Park Slope Food Coop and was told that PSFC is not the organization that could ever make the decision to purchase a building because of their decision making process is not one that could handle such a procedure
      • Partner: find a developer that would benefit by having a grocery store as part of their development, ie, they’re able to build higher in exchange for the community benefit of coop as tenant through program like FRESH; CB3 carries that program, CB2 does not.

We spoke of specific locations and their potential, e.g. empty loft building on Fulton next to Crispus Attucks playground between Downing and Irving. The senior center a little west of there is going to take that building over. Maybe we can work on getting the main floor there?
Suggested we get a hold of his counterpart in CB3, Henry Butler.
He also suggested we contact Director of City Planning, Brooklyn, Winston VonEngel and deputy director Alex Sommer,
For info: as per blueprint our current location is 2496 SF including party-walls: Storage and Walk-in: 500SF – Store: 1096SF – Extension: 900SF

7. Bike Rack  9:15 – 9:25 (10mins) (Notetaker)

Closing  9:25 – 9:30 (5 min) (Notetaker)

Board review/approval:  Board reviews votes at the end of each GM

General Meeting Notes 12/21/16

General Meeting Notes
Wednesday, December 21st, 2016, 7.30 – 9.30 pm
The Co-op: 18 Putnam Ave, Brooklyn

Facilitator: Elizabeth
Note-taker:  Finn
Note-takers – please see link to secretary responsibilities.
Timekeeper:  Jeannie
Directors Present: DK, Elizabeth, Christina, Cecile, Keith and Jeannie
Directors Absent: Lauryl
Others in attendance: Erika McGinty , Finn Upham, Steven Russo
Any person attending may participate equally in discussions, but only Co-op members/owners may vote on any issues. Member/owners may receive work credit if they attend (allotted 1 time a year).
Next General Meeting is March 22d 2017 at the store. Want to be a facilitator, secretary, timekeeper or to propose items for a future GM agenda? Please email [email protected].

Welcome/Orientation 7:30-7:35 (5 min) DK
Welcome and introductions. Brief explanation of the purpose of the General Meeting. Questions welcomed! This general meeting is a holiday celebration and celebration of the Co-op’s improvement (along with agenda items outlined below).
Consent Agenda: 7:35-7:45 (10 mins) (—-?—-)
A collective vote on decisions that have already been made or that don’t generally require/solicit discussion. Attendees can pull out any item they would like more discussion on, and this item will be moved to discussion at the end of the meeting. Information on all consent agenda item votes will be circulated in advance of the meeting.

Membership and Finance Reports 7:45 – 8:00 (15min) (Membership; Finance)
Monthly membership report (here)

  • Current number of working members: 437
  • Number of new members and deactivated in November: 15 new members,  2 reactivated member,  41 trial members
  • Number of existing members waiting for investment returns:  no update available under 50 as per GM 10/26/16
  • We’ve seen roughly a 25% increase in membership since January.

Membership initiatives

  • New Member Onboarding process standards creation (props to Alexandra Peters & Sophie Masure). The way we onboard new members has been very inconsistent. This causes confusion and frustration, particularly with regards to when and how a new member works their first shift. We’ve identified the ideal new member onboarding communication flow, which includes orientation and follow-up/informational emails. We will start rolling this out incrementally in January.
  • Trial member follow-up (Outreach – props to Carolyn Romberg). We can do much better with our approach to trial member follow-up. Earlier this year we changed the way the trial member signup process works so the information is tracked directly in our CRM (where all of our regular member information is tracked). This allowed us to provide trial members with keyfobs to scan in for shopping, a measure that was meant to promote ownership in the Co-op (even though they aren’t owners yet). Many of our new member signups start as trial members, but there is still a very large pool of trial members who don’t sign up and we never hear from again. Outreach is taking on the task of following up with trial members to see how their experience is and encourage them to join as a full member. This initiative is in its first month.
  • Q: How are trial members contacted? By phone, by email?
  • Member labor enforcement starting in January. Historically, we haven’t been consistent enforcing the Co-op’s labor requirements. Labor is everyone’s responsibility as a requirement of their ownership in the Co-op. With the store now being open 7 days a week, there are even more shifts that need coverage.

We ran some numbers in October. At that time, we had 427 active members (-roughly 112 trial members) so that leaves about 315 active members.  Minus our committee/board folks (60) and floaters (75) and that will give us our consistent store work force of 180 but reality is 114 are working, so that means about 65 of our current active members are not working = about 20% of members not working
These numbers are rough and they do not account for members we show as active in the system who perhaps aren’t actively shopping anymore. That said, it does still illustrate a labor shortage.
Point:
Trial members not clear about process of transfer to full membership at check-in
Keith gave an example of 3 during one Saturday shift that he personally took care of.
Upcoming initiatives:

  • Check-in system email notifications for low hours. When a member checks in and is shown as low on hours or a “no go”, and email will be sent to them and Membership notifying them of the low hours with instructions on what to do.
  • Double make-ups for no-show shifts. The policy is that no-showing a shift requires a double make-up, but this has been difficult to enforce. We are exploring ways to track & enforce this. In the meantime, if you are going to miss a shift, you must make an effort to find a replacement through the work shift trade group. If you are sick or need to miss a shift at the last minute, you must call the store to notify them. Making an effort to find a replacement/notify the store excuses you from the double make-up, but you will still need to make up the shift you are missing.
  • Membership Committee Chair replacement. Chad Donnick is leaving the Membership Committee Chair post at the end of April 2017. We’re actively recruiting for a chair or co-chairs to replace him. For more information about what this position entails, email [email protected]

Monthly finance report:
LInk to Profit & Loss Summary:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0sBFqsPR1yTeTZhRTV4Vk1tbGs/view?usp=sharing
Link not updated
OCTOBER 2016 SALES (31 days)

TOTAL BASKETS 1,845
AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $36.00
TOTAL SALES $67,485
GROSS MARGIN* $21,341.92

  Average daily total sales = $2,070.84
NOVEMBER 2016  (30 days) (Nov. 11th open 7days)

TOTAL BASKETS 1,561
AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $35.21
GROSS SALES $56,341.82
GROSS MARGIN* $13,176.85

Average daily total sales $470.57
DECEMBER 2016  (20 days)

TOTAL BASKETS 1,046
AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $37.17
GROSS SALES $39,829.92
GROSS MARGIN* $10169.92

Average daily total sales $508.45
*Note: Gross Margin is Sales minus Cost of Goods Sold. Does not include spoilage. Figures are from Revel.
JANUARY to DECEMBER 2016  (Year to date)

TOTAL BASKETS 15,451
AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $39.29
GROSS SALES $622,010.43
GROSS MARGIN* $154,744.88

Liaison Updates 8:00-8:20 (20mins) (Board:Committee Liaisons)

  • Finance = A new process for making deposits has been created by Lauryl. Will look to possibly add myself as a signer for our account. Next projects: Financing Lawyers, Financial analysis for relocation. Finance will start reaching out to each committee to submit budget for the year.
  • Merch =  The team is moving ever closer to category buying. We’ve divided up all the merchandise into categories, and aligned our vendors with them. They now have to assign categories and figure out the nitty gritty.
  • Marketing >> After a period of orientation, Ray is finally on board as marketing chair. He’s started interacting with members of the marketing team (at least those that make themselves reachable) and is asking the Co-op Board for their thoughts and ideas for marketing priorities for 2017. Ray has established 3 main priorities to tackle in the New Year:
    • 1) Updating the website to today’s standards in terms of look and feel, as well as improve its communication of the Co-op’s Mission and Values, with the aim of attracting more members, increasing the number of store visits and the size of every basket;
    • 2) Update the Newsletter and Social Media in the same way;
    • 3) Developing additional storefront signage to facilitate communication of the Co-op’s workings so that passers-by can a) understand what the Co-op is about, and b) be motivated to join and become members themselves.

OPEN HOUSE January 14: The artwork is done and signs/flyers will be dropped off this week.

  • IT= We need to “strengthen” the IT committee.
  • Gov = Still need an assistant? A: Mira is coordinating a meeting in January.
  • Membership/Investments= Renee Bergan will take charge of Investment after Christmas? A: Cecile may follow up.

Cecile sending email to Jenine Osbon who recently contacted us about reimbursement for her and her husband investment, she has made many requests: email was sent 12/22//16

CHRISTINA is following up with Renee concerning her engagement with investment committee and request update for next meeting,… see also on Bike rack
Committee Asks and Gives 8:20-8:35 ( 15mins) (Committee Chairs)

  • Committees asks for help or support / others give
  • Marketing = Ray, open house: January 14th?, promotional effort?, vendors?, tasting?
  • Jill is coordinating open house
  • Merch= Always looking for more buyers
  • Finance = Requesting budget from each committee. Have yet to receive.
  • IT= Keith did you reach Misha? Cecile will work with Keith to take on liaison role
  • Gov= needs assistant
  • Membership/Investments= Renee Bergan will take charge of Investment after Christmas?
  • Note: Keith to check if [email protected] account is redirecting email to the committee chairs

Store Coordinator Updates 8:35-8:40 (5 mins) (Store Coordinators)

  • New hires Amie & Raina are currently in training!: have shadowed on opening/closing procedures, member labor training., cash handling, Revel POS backend & also worked shifts independently
  • New cash handling procedures finalized & currently in place
  • Reminder note — Store will be CLOSED Dec. 25th & Jan. 1st

LEASE COMMITTEE UPDATES AND QUESTIONS: 8:45 – 9:05 ( 20mins) (Board and Vincent)

  • Update on the current situation, lease, court date, pro-bono attorneys, strategie, outreach…DK/Vincent
  • Cecile will bring the Coop’s affidavit to Steve for it to be notarised.
  • Court date Jan 3rd, Kristina and Keith will attend.
  • CB2, Vincent/DK
  • Relocation, Matthew and Cecile

As per plan shared by Jeannie, our current location is 2496 SF including parti-walls, divided as follow:
– storage and walk-in: 500 SF
– store: 1096 SF
– “office”: 900 SF

  • Finance to make a recommendation as the rent range to be considered in lease negotiations. (Jeannie)
  • Motion: Keith and DK and Latisha (public member) to meet Renee Collymore (Landlord).
  • Pass with One Abstain

Bike Rack 9:05 – 9:15 (10mins) (Notetaker)

  • GM and Boards facilitators,…Emily is on leave,…we need to find someone
    • Meghan to be contact, past successes, Kristina can back up for Chairing. Finn can moderate in the future.
  •  Investments:
    • Finance would like to be alerted to requests to have the record, reach out to Renee
    • Christina: to reach out to Renee to request an update at the next meeting.

Tabled for next meeting

  • GHFC accounts Doc. Update access spreadsheet
  • Position of the Store coordinator(s) with respect to the board
  • Further discussion of workflow on Investments

Closing 9:15 – 9:25 (5 min) (Notetaker)
Board review/approval:  Board reviews votes at the end of each GM
Was  discussed and decided among Board Members:
Board titles:

President: Keith
Secretary: Christina
Treasurer: Jeannie
Committee liaisons:
Finance & Merchandising: JEANNIE
Marketing: DK
IT: KEITH being transferred to CECILE
Membership & Outreach (MOM): ?
Investment: ?
Store coordinators: CHRISTINA & KEITH
Governance: CHRISTINA
Design build: ELIZABETH
POP (People Operations projector HR): ?

Operations:

Board Meeting Notes 11/16/16

Board Meeting Notes
Wed., November 16, 2016, 7:30 – 9:30 pm
The Co-op: 18 Putnam Ave, Brooklyn

Facilitator: Alex
Note-taker: Jeannie
Note-takers – please see link to secretary responsibilities.
Timekeeper: Jeannie

Directors Present: Renee, Keith, Christina, Jeannie, Cecile
Directors Absent:
Coordinator Present: Lauryl
Others in attendance: Alex Still, Ray Jolicoeur , Mira De Jong (Governance), Rachel (ParkSlope Loan), Cecile Arnaud, Matthew Talmage, DK Holland

Any person attending may participate equally in discussions, but only Co-op members/owners may vote on any issues. Member/owners may receive work credit if they attend (allotted 1 time a year).

Next General Meeting is December 21 at the store. Want to be a facilitator, secretary, timekeeper or to propose items for a future GM agenda? Please email [email protected]

Welcome/Orientation 7:30-7:40 (10 min) (Facilitator)
Welcome and introductions. Brief explanation of the purpose of the General Meeting. Questions welcomed!

Consent Agenda: 7:40-7:45 (5 mins) (Facilitator)
The following will be voted on:
Loan Letters to be sent
Board elections

Ratify minutes from previous Board meeting –

Elections: (Mira)
Nominees for the Board : Elizabeth, Morgan & Cecile
VOTES:
YES= ( x46) Elizabeth & Cecile

Membership and Finance Reports 7:45 – 7:55 (10 min) (Membership; Finance)
Monthly membership report (here)
Aug: 400
Sept: 418
Oct: 427

Finance report:
LInk to Profit & Loss Summary (here):
SEPTEMBER 2016 (30 days/ 22 shopping days) (9/26/16 start of 7 days open)
TOTAL BASKETS 1,269
AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $38.35
GROSS SALES $50,006.43
GROSS MARGIN* $12,010.24
Average daily total sales $545.92

OCTOBER 2016 (31 days & 31 Shopping Days!!)
TOTAL BASKETS 1785
AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $36.55
GROSS SALES $67,196.17
GROSS MARGIN* $21,341.92
Average daily total sales $2,070.84

*Note: Gross Margin is Sales minus Cost of Goods Sold. Does not include spoilage. Figures are from Revel.

Loans:
We have 23 loans totaling $61k. By Jan. 2017, we are due to pay $20,486 in total interest & principal.
Finance is asking that the 2011 notes program lenders extend their loans by one or more years if they are due in 2017 or 2018 and that all of them consider partial or full forgiveness. For the refrigeration loans, finance proposes a 5 quarter delay in principal repayments or forgiveness. For the $12k POS loan where terms were not set, the letter to the sole lender proposes terms to be agreed on. For the three loans of $500 or under (including the two insulation loans), Finance proposes that they be repaid to ease the loan administration burden.

Finance has drafted 15 letters attached your your review (representing 21 of the loans) 2011 notes program lenders extend their loans by one or more years if they are due in 2017 or 2018 and that all of them consider partial or full forgiveness. For the refrigeration loans, finance proposes a 5 quarter delay in principal repayments or forgiveness.

ACTIONS & SUGGESTIONS:

  • To add that we have a repayment schedule
  •  March – Finance to come back with a schedule of payment
  •  Phone call to be made to major loan
  •  Financial reporting to be re-looked at?
  • Work on finding a new signer

VOTE: Do we agree to submit letters per the proposed plan that finance proposes above?
YES = 8
NO = 0
ABSTAIN = 0

Liaison Updates 7:55-8:00 (5 mins) (Board:Committee Liaisons)

  • Finance – Added new member to work on financial analysis
  • Merch – All is working on auto pilot / Amy’s has labor law issues / We currently do not carry
  • MOM – Ray is in charge of Marketing / Branding / Ray is working more towards working with other committees / Ray is professionally work with start up farms
  • Gov – Mira is the only person on Governance and would eventually like to step down / Keith is working to find more members
  • IT – Keith is working for additional help
  • Design Build – Kale is working on the space and looking to see how make more use of the expansion space / We need more talk about expansion which is tied in with the lease

The Role of A Cooperative Board 8:00-15 (15 mins) (Lauryl)

  • Handout: Lauryl came from a convention and has passed out
  • handouts that she thought she would find it useful
  • Co-op board self assessment tool evaluation form
  • Organizational Chart
  • The role of a coop board:
    -perpetuate itself (recruits new members, trains them)
    -serve as the link to members at large & maintain a well-informed membership
    -hire/fire & oversee the general manager

coop1 coop2

ACTIONS & SUGGESTIONS:

  • Board to review with new members their roles
  • The more members you have engaged at the meetings the more members you have involved in the coop
  • With new board members, to have a separate meeting
  • Board to add new members to google docs, etc.
  • At December GM meeting, have the board meet early to review board expectations and maybe create it as a party. Christina to coordinate with POP.

Staff Retention & Support 8:15-8:30 (15 min.) (Store Coordinator -Lauryl)

  • Goal(s):
    • -Empower staff to fulfill job description -hiring/training new staff (within the 60hrs/week bounds set by board)
    • @Board look at the cash flow statement and membership updates over the next three months
  • Store’s Monthly Payroll costs since adding more staff in Spring (info from cash flow sheet) have been as follows: Feb. 2,316; March 3,875 ; April 2,272; May 1,222; June 2,154; July 2,596; August 2,421; Sept. 2,943
  • OR an average of $2,474/month payroll over the last 8 months. In February 2016, our Ending Cash Balance was $23,734 & it has steadily improved since adding more staff capacity to $56,918 in September.
  • Having more staffing has enabled us to do the following things:
  • -Open 7 days/week
  • -Compost system overhaul (“it look SO good and clean & organized” -Dara, Master Composter @ BBG)
  • -Bethel Church soup kitchen relationship
  • -Shift Leader training
  • -Produce set up/closing procedure streamline to reduce waste
  • -Better stocking practices/more consistency
  • -Better feedback/on the ground reports to buyers about inventory levels
  • -Better quality control on the shopping floor
  • -Follow up communications w/ members re: missed shifts & make ups
  • -Stronger food safety compliance
  • -Membership responsiveness; being a presence in the store that can solve basic membership issues & sign up members on the spot more capably than general members
  • -Membership email response-quicker reply time
  • -Identifying inconsistencies in cash amounts
  • -Working w/ Board to improve cash handling procedures
  • -Product mix expansion & continuing to improve buying practices/support Merch committee
  • -save $ through logging more accurately returns, shorts & mispicks to vendors
  • -Receiving coverage for non-shopping hours

    QUESTIONS & ANSWERS:

  • Are we saying that there are not enough members doing the job? No, we need store coordinators to help get members involved
  • What did the board vote for a new store coordinators? 60 hours / week with only Shannon & Angelica
  • What is Lauryl asking for? We need more people to train people. The current people cannot fulfill the 60 hours per week.
  • Renee feels that we should have less people so that we have better communication. Why hire more when we would want someone to stay?
  • Why is the Hierarchy needed? Suggest to introduce a person under a trial period.
  • Justifying numbers : What is going to happen? What are we actively expecting for adding new coordinators
  • Benefits? Should we be paying benefits?
  • How many people is Lauryl asking to hire? 2 more

COMMENTS
The argument that the low pay is not a valuable job is not felt to be a valid argument

ACTIONS & SUGGESTIONS:

  • We need to come back with answers
  • Additional conversation should happen with committees (Gov., POP, Finance) & board. To discuss comments above and discuss membership numbers. Lauryl to coordinate
  • Having consistent staff is wonderful
  • Staffing has been consistent and there is a spread sheet

Staff & Member Labor Coverage sheet – current hours

Security Measures Updates (Christina)

  • Locks have been changed
  • Codes need to be changed
  • Security Cameras
    • 3rd Camera – add to back room / Design Build to fix/ RENE to coordinate
    • Footage reviewed – Tim Hamilton to review
  • Detectives
    • Did not contact
  • Insurance
    • Governance to look into new insurance
    • Insurance currently does not cover theft of cash.
  • Safe
    • Dan from Design Build installed
  • Deposit Procedure
    • Deposit to be made by store coordinator & store member
    • Working out procedures

Lease: 8:45 – 8:55 (5 mins) Keith

  • Keith is in discussion with Keysha.
  • Collymores have received a certified check
  • Next month Agenda: Terms of the lease
  • PSFC loan committee suggests we still have team looking for new locations should our lease be terminated early.
  • Finance has successfully submitted rent via certified mail
  • SUGGESTIONS: Have a committee to work issues of the lease / Ask PSFC to help

Bike Rack 9:15 – 9:25 (10 mins) (Notetaker)

  • Labor: We want to look at number increase and member increase / we have 60 members not working consistently (20%) / To get more enforcement / Chad is working on this

Closing 9:25 – 9:30 (5 min) (Notetaker)
Board review/approval: Board reviews votes at the end of each mtg

Agenda Items for Next Month

  • Nick Wong ([email protected]) would like to propose trike-based deliveries. He can not attend today’s meeting. If there’s interest, contact me via e-mail and I can research and draft up a proposal for next meeting.
  • Terms of the Lease
  • Hiring of New Store Coordinators?

GM Meeting Notes 9.28.16

General Meeting AGENDA
Wed., September 28, 7.30 – 9.30 pm
The Co-op: 18 Putnam Ave, Brooklyn

Facilitator: Jeannie
Note-taker: Elizabeth
Note-takers – please see link to secretary responsibilities.
Timekeeper: DK

Directors Present: Jeannie & Chirstina
Directors Absent: Renee & Keith
Others in attendance: Alec, DK, Cecile, Elizbeth, Angelica

Any person attending may participate equally in discussions, but only Co-op members/owners may vote on any issues. Member/owners may receive work credit if they attend (allotted 1 time a year).

Next General Meeting is December 21 at the store. Want to be a facilitator, secretary, timekeeper or to propose items for a future GM agenda? Please email [email protected]

Welcome/Orientation 7:30-7:40 (10 min) (Jeannie)

  • Welcome and introductions. Brief explanation of the purpose of the General Meeting.
  • Questions welcomed!
  • Christina – Board member & GHFC 5 years
  • DK – Long time member, works on the newsletter
  • Cecile – French & works at the store as a shift leader
  • Elizabeth – Works the Friday morning shift by herself
  • Angelica – Store Coordinator

Consent Agenda: 7:40-7:45 (5 mins) (Jeannie)

  • A collective vote on decisions that have already been made or that don’t generally require/solicit discussion. Attendees can pull out any item they would like more discussion on, and this item will be moved to discussion at the end of the meeting.
  • Information on all consent agenda item votes will be circulated in advance of the meeting.
  • Ratify minutes from previous Board meeting – Ratified!
  • This agenda does not match website agenda

Membership and Finance Reports 7:45 – 7:55 (10 min) (Membership; Finance)

  • Monthly membership report (here)
  • Current number of working members: 400! (first time we’ve been at 400 since March 2015)
  • Number of new members and deactivated in August: 4 new members, 1 reactivated member, 60 trial members
  • Number of exiting members waiting for investment returns: under 50

Monthly finance report:

Link to Profit & Loss Summary:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0sBFqsPR1yTeTZhRTV4Vk1tbGs/view?usp=sharing

JULY 2016 SALES (31 days)
TOTAL BASKETS 1,260
AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $36.03
TOTAL SALES $48,570.57
GROSS MARGIN* $11,394.29
Average daily total sales = $1,566.79

AUGUST 2016 (31 days)
TOTAL BASKETS 1,212
AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $35.95
GROSS SALES $45,060.30
GROSS MARGIN* $10,644.43
Average daily total sales $1,453.56

SEPTEMBER 2016 (25 days)
TOTAL BASKETS 1050
AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $38.38
GROSS SALES $41,510.08
GROSS MARGIN* $9,744.96
Average daily total sales $1,660.40

*Note: Gross Margin is Sales minus Cost of Goods Sold. Does not include spoilage. Figures are from Revel.

Liaison Updates 7:55-8:05 (10 mins) (Board:Committee Liaisons)

  • Finance = working on organizing financials. back taxes, tracking private loans
  • Merch = they are continually working to add new products & keeping spoilage down to a minimum
  • Marketing = Newsletter is a full team effort

Committee Asks and Gives 8:05-8:25 (20 mins) (Committee Chairs)

  • Committees asks for help or support / others give
  • Marketing = needs graphic designers (Olivia is a designer)
  • Finance = offers each committee to create a budget for the year

Store Coordinator Updates 8:25-8:35 (10 mins) (Store Coordinators)

  • Composting is active again.
    • This would be a good article for the Newsletter
    • Brooklyn Botanic Garden checked the compost and gave their okay.
  • Store Coordinators are looking for a third coordinator
    • The Board would like to know what the process is for hiring a coordinator
    • The Board did not agree to the hiring of another coordinator per the last GM
    • Better communication needed on both sides

Institutional Membership Proposal 8:35-8:55 (20 mins) (Angelica)

  • Overview
    • Create a Greene Hill Institutional Membership for small businesses & community organizations. This Membership Category would be non-voting and non-working.
    • Institutional Members have the same purchasing options as individual members (can place special orders & shop in store) for their organization’s uses.
    • Goals Build community relationships & support other local/mission aligned businesses; marketing & building membership
  • Details
    • The Greene Hill Member Organization will have a shared Key Fob for use by designated representatives from the organization.
    • The organization will
      -pay an annual fee of $50.
      -mutually agree upon shared marketing plans (e.g. highlight in respective newsletters, co-sponsor events)
    • This agreement will be reviewed on an annual basis when organizational membership is renewed.
  • Notes
    • Example from another cooperative: “Weavers Way offers an “institutional account” to local businesses. It is a non-voting membership with a $45 annual fee.
    • It allows businesses to charge purchases to their account and pay from a monthly invoice…& gives them the privilege of pre-ordering (a member-only benefit).”Susan G. Beetle; Finance Manager
    • RENEE: Votes YES!
    • NOT LEGAL: Per the NY Tax laws, our coop is not allowed to have an organization or business buy from the coop otherwise we will be shut down by the government.
    • Our tax is specific to for the coop.

Contingency Team: 8:55 – 9:05 (10 mins) (Keith should give update)

  • PSFC loan committee suggests we still have team looking for new locations should our lease be terminated early.
  • Keith is out sick. Will move topic to the next board meeting

Bike Rack 9:05 – 9:15 (10 mins) (Notetaker)

  • Nominees for the Board : Elizabeth, Morgan & Cecile
  • Open House: Need to update signage with new hours , Flyers have been passed out
  • Community: Would like to have store more presence in the community
  • In store visual merchandising: the spoiling and moldy bananas are not very nice to have at the front of the store / maybe it would be better to have these items on a shelf in the back storage

Closing 9:15 – 9:25 (5 min) (Notetaker)

  • Board review/approval: Board reviews votes at the end of each GM

Agenda Items for Next Month
Contingency Team: 8:55 – 9:05 (10 mins) (Keith should give update) PSFC loan committee suggests we still have team looking for new locations should our lease be terminated early.

BOD Meeting Notes 7.27.16

Board of Directors ~ July Mtg
Wed., July 27,  7.30 – 9.30 pm
The Co-op: 18 Putnam Ave, Brooklyn

Facilitator:  DK
Note-taker: Jeannie

Note-takers – please see link to secretary responsibilities.

Timekeeper: Glen
 
Directors Present: Jeannie, Keith, Christina
Directors Absent: Renée

Others in attendance: Shannon Sodano, Jill Hoffman, Lena Greenberg (PSFC), H. Leigh Brown (PSFC), Angelica Falcinelli, Karen Haskins, Steve Russo, Glenn Brill, Kelsy Chauvin, Bianca Orlando, Sam Marks, Wendy Gleisor, DK Holland, Glen, Rachel Porter (PSFC), Kathy Mariao (PSFC), Lauryl Berger-Chun, Sylvianne Lagueux Tremblay

Approve Minutes (1 min.) from previous GM (please read beforehand on the Website)

Consent Agenda (2 min)
A collective vote on decisions that have already been made or that don’t generally require/solicit discussion. Attendees can pull out any item they would like more discussion on, and this item will be moved to discussion at the end of the meeting. Information on all consent agenda item votes will be circulated in advance of the meeting.

Finance & Membership Reports  (5 min)

JUNE’S GROSS SALES (30 days)

Total $52,532.92
GROSS MARGIN* $13,040.51

 

JULY’S GROSS SALES (24 days)

Total $38,312.10
GROSS MARGIN* $9170.28

 

SALES YEAR TO DATE (205 days)

Total $347,538.52
GROSS MARGIN* $83,793.86

 

*Note: Gross Margin is Sales minus Cost of Goods. This figure does not include cost of spoilage.

 

  • As of July 24, 2016 weekly sales is slightly DOWN compared to June’s.
  • JUNE’s Weekly average sales = $12,257.63
  • Total Transactions (30 days) = 1314
  • Average Check= $39.05

 

  • JULY’s average weekly sales =  $10,926.37
  • Total Transactions (24 days) =1050
  • Average Check= $34.69

 

  • June Active membership was: Up. We saw a net member change of +18. Of those, 13 are new members. 7 of those new members were previously trial members. This takes into account new memberships, reactivations, leave, cancelations and PSFC workers. This big increase can be directly attributed to the Open House offer on June 11 in which we waived the $25 admin fee for all new memberships. 48 trial members joined (down from 51 in May).
  • Analysis: Seeing some of the summer slump, as weekly sales are down by about $2k/week. Interesting to note that the number of shoppers has not lowered much but the weekly basket has–why?  Note that one of the weekends was a holiday weekend and those are always hard for us, due to folks going out of town.

Store Coordinator check-in (Lauryl, 15 min)

  • General updates:
  • Transitioning three new coordinators from independent contractor to employee status
  • 3 new store coordinators (Sylviann,  Shannon, Angelica)
  • More accuracy, flow up Cash Flow,
  • Past 4 weeks $1600 in net revenue
  • Spoilage has been down
  • Next Steps: Finance to investigate feasibility
  • Coordinators are present for shopping hours.
  • Increased Security measures and discussion, is locking cash drawers enough, are other measures needed

Financial Analysis (Finance, 30 min)

    • Account Balance / Money in the Bank = $27,640  
      • At least $9,457 belongs to member investments (need to verify)
      • $10,000 belongs to PSFC Loan
      • $8,183 is what we have left
      • Our financial goal is to pay our loans off
      • Accounting sales YTD = $350,000 approximately
      • We are making some progress
      • We need to make an analysis to understand
      • PSFC willing to meet with finance people to figure out how to handle the finance
      • We need to a physical inventory count to get a true account by September 30th
        • Park Slope can help us do this properly
        • Point person needs to count these items

 

  • NOTE: Renee wrote to Susan about this who headed the inventory last year.

 

  • Are we fiscally able to handle a move? (*This did not get disscussed)
    • Assessment of moving costs needs to be worked on. At the end of July, Darrell will be in California for the next 6 weeks. He is unable to project manage this. Need someone to help. Renee suggestion: Pablo??? Or Cale or what about rest of DB team?
    • Most of our equity is within the four walls of the store. We cannot touch the bank money as the reserve cash needs to be allocated towards taxes and other continuing bills.
  • Update on projects on hold due to finances and lease situation:
    • Proposed projects to be put on hold until we are in better financial standing
      • childcare (i’ve notified them of our situation but haven’t heard back)
      • alcohol license – Keith has a copy, sent it, and it got bounced back.
      • installation of fridges (sold both)
      • dire need redemptions (if agreed we need to remove this option from the investment letter that goes out to exiting members).
    • Proposed items that Finance will still pay for:
      • taxes/bookkeeper
      • loan repayments
      • asst store coordinators

 

Updates/Discussion on Lease Termination (All, 40 min). If not able to be present, pls provide the update in writing next to your name/section.

  • Dahlia & Keith (Lease liaison): point of contract update, do we have to move?
    • From Dahlia after the mtg:  Keysha said she was not at liberty to discuss if the building was being sold. Her stance is we can ask for the proof of contract all we want but she doesn’t necessarily need to provide it. I told her, that her sister and mom are saying they just need more rent and they aren’t selling the place, but she wouldn’t say if that was correct. She did say she could provide more time, but when I asked outright if we found a way to pay more in rent if we could stay she said that’s not the case. I left it at that we definitely need more time and our stance is until we see the proof of contract we’re not going to honor the clause of the lease. She doesn’t agree with that (something we could discuss with a lawyer?) but if we tell her how much longer we need, she’ll provide more time. I still don’t believe they actually have sold the building, but she seems to be holding strong that our lease will be terminated.
    • Contrary to above statement: Keysha has told Keith that she will present a contract of sale.
    • As understood, the Collymores believe they can evict us although we have a legally binding lease for the next 5 years.
    • Each lot is privately owned. The backyard lot contract deal is dead.
    • We have determined that the Collymores are not selling
    • Glen – there is always a possibility that the Collymores could sell any day/ develop a contigency plan.
    • ACTION: Keith is drafting a letter in response by Friday to ensure that we made a formal response to their letter.
    • ACTION: Create a small group to investigate the viability of all questions we need to answer. People to stay after meeting if they want to help.
  • Keith (Relocation team):  relocation leads/updates
  • Jeannie (Feasibility team):  Update on feasibility of move if not addressed above.
    • Design Build & Finance should be working on the details
  • Renee (Legal):  here’s a detailed list of what work I’ve been doing:
  • Suggestions from Paula (596 acres): reach out to *Urban Justice Center or Brooklyn Legal Services Corporation A. Tell them you are looking for representation in a commercial holdover eviction case likely to begin in October.
    • *UJC: sent email, wed 7/13. no response; Karen Haskins from Co-op connected us with Melissa Risser from UJC, Renee and finance filling out intake and submitting this week.
    • NO: Brookly Legal Services Corp: Called, said if commercial need to obtain a private attorney.
    • If you can’t get free help from a provider that is funded to represent groups like the Coop, we can make a referral to my private practice, Mohen & Segal LLP, and discuss a fee structure.
    • Joe (PSFC)and several others: NY lawyers alliance, Neil Stevenson, pro bono legal work, helped Calabash Co-op:
      • Spoke with Neil week of 7/11, suggested we work with *NY lawyers for the public interest:nylpi.org as they are pro bono
          • spoke with asst Heidi on 7.17.  They work with volunteer lawyers on a pro bono basis.  Can’t guarantee representation.  Will get back to me with more info (after reviewing docs) very soon.

 

  • Update 7/25: haven’t received any more info from them despite several calls

 

    • Jess Levy (co-op member):  provided 3 leads from a legal listserve inquiry she’s on:
      • Legal Aid has a community development project.  You can reach out to the supervisor Shervon Small at: [email protected] (have not called)
      • *CUNY Law School, in partnership with the City Bar, has a new law firm that helps small businesses and quite possibly assistance with commercial lease provisions. low cost service, but not free.  free consultation, $100/hr give advice on what we can do to keep costs down.
        • general civil law help moderate small biz’s, try to be affordable; flat fees when possible could do retainer of looking at lease $300- $500; and then 2nd re: how negotiate, initial retainer then move to hourly or renew retainer
      • John Maher: I do commercial lease disputes, Yellowstone injunctions and related work. I Am also a member of my local food coop and shop at the E 3rd St Food Coop. I would do a free consult for a food coop. John Maher 646 675 8909 (sounds like he would charge us- so not following through).
    • Michael Manzi <[email protected]> via Steve Russo has given us the following advise: “Please urge them to move quickly on the legal front.  It might not be an “eviction” notice but it’s just as bad.  Once a lease terminates by notice, which is the situation here, it cannot be revived.  They need to go to court asap to get a “Yellowstone injunction”  to stop the termination of the lease. If the lease contains a provision giving the landlord the right to terminate in the event of a sale of the building, they’re screwed, unless the landlord has strictly complied with the terms of the provision.  Otherwise, a landlord may not terminate just because he’s selling the building.
    • Chad Donnick (co-op member): Reached out to an attorney friend who was kind enough to look through our lease documents.
      • He made note that our lease does not contain a popular provision in NYC lease agreements which allows landlords to dramatically increase rent (upwards of 200%) if we stay past our end date.
      • He noted that there is a provision that if we do fight the eviction in legal proceedings and lose we would be liable to pay all of the Collymore’s court costs.
      • One tactic he suggests stems from the lease extension section #6 which says “upon entering into a Purchase Sales Agreement landlord shall have the right to terminate…”. He suggested drafting a letter from the board requesting evidence of the PSA. This would either “call their bluff” or at the very least (if they do produce a PSA), “reset the clock” on the termination notice (so to speak).
      • Also suggested Lawyers Alliance for NY as the best nonprofit for nonprofits in NYC. http://www.lany.org/   
      • As a side, he asked if I watched Broad City. I told him the “co-op” episode was at our co-op and he of course had no idea and thought that was neat. Made me realize that we don’t do enough promotion of that. We should really highlight that on our website.   

 

  • SUMMARY:  I would like to see if we can get pro bono work either with UJC or NY Lawyers for the Public interest. If not CUNY provides a VERY affordable legal rep option.

 

    • DK/Willow (PR): Update on non member PR, when will something go out and how? Prepare statements for all situations.

 

  • What next?

 

 

Confirmation of Revised Director and Officer Roles on website: (All, 10 min)

Given the new make up the Board of Directors, the official Director/Officer roles should also reflect the recent changes.  Unfortunately this wasn’t reviewed back in Feb and we need to update the website with revised roles.  The minor revised changes reflect the more horizontal Board structure.  Just need Board to approve or amend.

Directors’ Roles

  • Liaise with committees
  • Attend the 12 monthly Board Meetings per the bylaws*
  • Shop at the Co-op
  • Be active via email and various projects, as needed
  • Remove themselves as chair or key member of any committee, focusing on the Directors role is priority
  • Set agenda for Board Meetings, facilitate and serve as notetaker on a rotating basis

 

President Role

  • Participate in all Director roles
  • Sign off on legal documents
  • Ensure that the board fulfills its commitments to the membership

 

Vice President Role

  • Participate in all Director roles
  • Take over President’s role in absence of the President
  • Support the President in his/her duties

 

Treasurer Role

  • Present finance report at monthly General Meetings
  • Ensure that the Finance Committee is maintaining bills, payroll and taxes and complying with state regulations

 

Secretary Role

  • Ensure that minutes are taken at Board Meetings, by rotating secretaries
  • Post minutes on website, if rotating secretary does not

 

VOTE: 3 Yes  0 No

 

Christina will submit this to Governance to update the website.

 

Review and approve votes (notetaker, 5 min)

 

Bike Rack (extra topics discussed)

 

  • ACTION:  Jeannie to scan legal documents to lease document folder
  • Need to add a Fifth member to the board (Jermiah & Jerylin are possibilities)

 

 

Next Board Mtg is Wed, Aug. 24, 7:30-9:30pm at the Co-op.

Next General Meeting is Wed, Sept.  28  – 7:30-9:30pm at The Co-op.

 

All are welcome. Please email [email protected] if you have suggestions for the agenda (work credit applies!)

B.O.D 8.24.2016 Meeting Notes

Board of Directors ~ August Mtg
Wed., August 24, 7.30 – 9.30 pm
The Co-op: 18 Putnam Ave, Brooklyn

Facilitator: Sarah Chinn
Note-taker: Renée Renata Bergan
Note-takers – please see link to secretary responsibilities.
Timekeeper:

Directors Present: Keith, Jeannie, Renée, Christina
Directors Absent: Lauryl
Others in attendance: DK, Nathan Albert, Sarah Chinn

Approve Minutes (5 min.) from previous GM (please read beforehand on the Website)

Consent Agenda (2 min)
A collective vote on decisions that have already been made or that don’t generally require/solicit discussion. Attendees can pull out any item they would like more discussion on, and this item will be moved to discussion at the end of the meeting. Information on all consent agenda item votes will be circulated in advance of the meeting.

Finance & Membership Reports (Jeannie, 5 min)
JULY 2016 SALES (23 shopping days)

TOTAL BASKETS 1,260
AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $36.03
TOTAL SALES $48,570.57
GROSS MARGIN* $11,394.29
Average daily total sales = $2,312.88

AUGUST 2016 SALES (thru 8/21/16 ) (15 shopping days)

TOTAL BASKETS 732
AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $39.60
TOTAL SALES $28,987.04
GROSS MARGIN* $6,895.99
Average daily total sales = $1,913.47

SALES OVER PAST YEAR (8/21/15 thru 8/21/16)

TOTAL BASKETS 13,489
AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $41.84
TOTAL SALES $564,427.68
GROSS MARGIN* $144,100.54

*Note: Gross Margin is Sales minus Cost of Goods Sold. Does not include spoilage. Figures are from Revel.
* As of AUGUST 21, 2016 weekly sales is slightly DOWN compared to July 2016.

JULY Active membership was:. 394 active members. 2 new Apple, 6 new Carrot, 7 new Lettuce, plus an influx in PSFC workers (8). Good to see strong numbers like this in the dead of summer. August new membership numbers don’t look quite as good so far, but we still have 10 days to go. The summer special ($25 admin fee waived for lettuce & avocado plans) did have an effect on the number of lettuce plan signups in July. Even though the special hasn’t been advertised on the website or in the store, it was advertised via emails to trial & former trial members which Membership sent. It was also promoted at the July new member orientation. Chad (Membership) is aware of 3 people who joined to save the $25 admin fee.
Membership wants to be able to report 400 active members by the end of the September and are hoping the Open House helps that along!

  • Financial Analysis Update (Jeannie, 30 min)
    • Account Balance / Money in the Bank = $20,000 (on average)
      • Private loans: $51,000 (with 2% interest every quarter on average)
      • Member investments: $11,457
      • PSFC Loan: $10,000
    • Average Operating Expenses = $1,975 per week
      • Rent = $2,600 per month
      • Workers Comp = $374 per coordinator / month ($1,122 total for three)
      • Payroll = $645 per week
      • Maintenance = $77.38 per week
      • Sales Tax = $99 per week
      • Insurance = $180.41 per month
      • Inventory expenses = $8,610 per week
    • Physical inventory to occur Oct 2, led by Susan Yeager with PSFC help.
    • How to use this information??? Figure out how we want to increase sales, where we can budget money out for marketing, staff, etc. Budget out whatever profits we have for increasing membership and sales at store. Glenn suggests beginning of month and end of month for analysis. Then can put together balance sheet and then P/L (profit loss) statement.
    • Make decision on which projects to put on hold due to finances and lease situation:
      • Proposed projects to be put on hold:
        • Childcare, due to financial expenses – YES
        • dire need redemptions, with caveat of reorganizing priority of list – YES
      • Proposed items that Finance will still pay for:
        • taxes/bookkeeper
        • loan repayments
        • asst store coordinators
        • Liquor license

Store Coordinator update (15 min)

  • General updates:
    • Member Labor for August: 106 unfilled slots (either empty in ShiftPlanning or members unable to make their regular shifts), 51 floaters signed up to fill, leaving 55 slots that were not filled
    • We need the following roles filled by member labor to support store operations:
      • Membership desk [4-5 people]
      • Revel Inventory Team [1-2 people]
      • Payroll runner to do ADP liaising [1 person]
    • All of these roles can be a regular 2.5 every 4 weeks shift

Additionally, bank deposit runs, as Keith has mentioned, need additional member labor.

Christina and Hillary will do.

    • Fall Shift Leader Training Sept. 11th 11am-12:30pm w/ pot luck lunch afterwards
    • Working on 7 days/week open implementation plan for Fall -aiming for Oct. 1st start at the moment. Mon-Fri 3-9pm Sat/Sun 10am-6pm shopping.
    • Security Policy Reminder: No members may be in the store outside of scheduled regular shopping/receiving hours Monday/Wednesday/Friday 2:30-9:30pm; Friday 8am-12:45pm; Sat/Sun 9:15-6:30pm. All committee work must occur during the listed times.
    • Inventory: b/c of lower summer sales + high vendor minimums → some out of stocks on perishables especially. Post labor day this should shift back to the greater consistency/selection Merch has been doing an awesome job building up over the past year.
    • BOARD TO VOTE: Hire 3 more Store Coordinators? Yes / No
      • Provisionally agreed to hire the store coordinators provided numbers are provided: hours/rate, complete financials including workers comp, additional pay roll taxes, etc.

Liaison Updates: Board liaisons give brief update on what their committees are working on (All, 10 min)

  • Finance
    • Book Keeper – Filed 2013 & 2014 taxes. Working on 2015 taxes
    • Store Coordinators – Upon board approval, will work on filing store coordinator papers

Lease Termination Update/Discussion on (All, 30 min).

  • Dahlia & Keith (Lease liaison):
    • Keysha is requesting a renegotiation of the lease; they didn’t realize they couldn’t kick us out w/o proof of sale; want to raise our rent
  • Keith (Relocation team): relocation leads/updates-on hold till Jan (or can re-evaluate finances)
  • Jeannie (Feasibility team):
  • Moving Fee Estimates:
    • Dumpster = $850 (2-3 day rental)
    • Movers = $707-$1,000
    • Lawyer = $3,000 budget
  • Renee (Legal):
  • Have pro-bono legal representation with Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP. They said the following:
    • The termination letter they sent is not valid, they can’t terminate our lease w/o proof of sale. Period. We have the right to continue to pay our rent and move forward as normal, until they do so.
    • Legally we need to formally respond within 90 days (Sept 4) of receipt of their termination letter. Lawyers will figure out a proper response (based on our mtg discussion), and share with us beforehand, but it will mention the above lack of validity of the lease termination letter until proof of sale is provided. Regardless of our conversations with the Collymores re: lease renegotiations, this is an important legal move to do to protect us, should we go to court.
    • Given the info provided, the lawyers said the Collymores cannot kick us out or raise our rent at this time. We are in good legal shape.
      • Consensus: Lawyers will send letter, Keith will mention do want to work with them, in interim we’ll see what we can do re: paying more rent or move. Ask lawyers re: what if lien and if sold building
    • DK/Willow (PR): Update? Need some kind of statement done by end of August.
    • Action item: Renée will write up a BRIEF update, share with Board, that we can send to our members only about our situation. Might have to be after labor day.

Director issues: (Renee/Keith, 15 min, 5 min each)

  • Vote to Implement Director 6 month Review (Renee): Suggested vote to implement 6 month review of new directors to make sure Board is a good fit for both parties. – YES
  • Update on potential new Board candidates (Keith/DK)
    • Betsy/Kevin: maybe
    • Cecile: interested
    • Morgan: interested
    • Nathan Albert: Renee asked and is waiting response
    • Mira asking previous floor nominations: Meghan, Susan Yeager and Sara Cornish?
    • Encourage someone of partnership to work, meaning someone that can work for their partner since it’s at least 2 shifts per month
  • Updated on permanent facilitators for mtgs
  • Sarah Chinn, Sarah Hughes, Emily/Meghan, Sara Cornish: Action item: Keith will send them dates

Review and approve votes (notetaker, 5 min)

Bike Rack (extra topics discussed)

  • Moved to Oct mtg if not worked out before
  • Hiring process:
    • Suggestion: in the future we should go back to an adhoc hiring committee which would include one person from the following groups: POP, Board and Store coordinators, who then can report back to the other parties at large
  • Store Coordinator Review, SC/Board process & Liaison
  • Renee wrote POP to set up review for Lauryl
  • Renee will be Lauryl’s liaison until she leaves the board in Oct.

Next General Meeting is Wed, Sept. 28, 7:30-9:30pm at The Co-op.
Next Board Mtg is Wed, Oct. 26, 7:30-9:30pm at the Co-op.

All are welcome. Please email [email protected] if you have suggestions for the agenda (work credit applies!)

BOD 6.22.16 Meeting Notes

General Meeting AGENDA
Wednesday, June 22, 7.30 – 9.30pm
The Co-op: 18 Putnam Ave, Brooklyn

Facilitator: Emily Miner
Minute-taker: Matthew Talmage
Minute-takers – please see link to secretary responsibilities.

Directors in attendance: Keith, Jeannie, Christina
Absent: Renee

Any person attending may participate equally in discussions, but only Co-op members/owners may vote on any issues. Member/owners may receive work credit if they attend (allotted 1 time a year).

Next General Meeting is September 28nd at the store. Want to be a facilitator, secretary, timekeeper or to propose items for a future GM agenda? Please email [email protected].

Welcome/Orientation 7:30-7:40 (10 min.)
Welcome and introductions. Brief explanation of the purpose of the General Meeting. Questions welcomed!

Attendees: Emily Miner, Jeannie Hamilton, Eamonn Farrell, Matthew Talmage, Lauryl Berger-Chen, Willow Westwood, Christina le Moine, Keith Almon, DK Holland

Consent Agenda: 7:40-7:45 (5 mins) (Facilitator)

A collective vote on decisions that have already been made or that don’t generally require/solicit discussion. Attendees can pull out any item they would like more discussion on, and this item will be moved to discussion at the end of the meeting. Information on all consent agenda item votes will be circulated in advance of the meeting.

  • Ratify minutes from previous Board meeting (please read beforehand on the Website)

Meeting Warm-up 7:45-8:05 (20 min.) (Emily Miner)

  • Interactive group activity to get to know each other and get in a “cooperative” spirit.

First round: DK and Willow won; second round Jeannie and Eamon were winners

Membership and Finance Reports 8:05 – 8:15 (10 min) (Membership; Finance)

Monthly membership report (here)

  • Current number of working members: 370
  • Number of new members and deactivated in May:
    • New: 5, plus 4 reactivated
    • Deactivated: 0
  • Number of exiting members waiting for investment returns:

Confirm: When members go off leave, they are coming back to active

It doesn’t seem like we have a high matriculation from trial member to regular member

Is the trial membership dissuading people that would normally join straight out?

If we are getting more stable, perhaps we consider deactivating the trial membership/

What is membership doing to ensure the trial members feel a sense of belonging?

Willow is working with Chad to look at and streamline the process from “interested to coop” to “full working member” via the email communication that we’re disseminating

Keith: how about email to trial members informing them of orientation day/time each month

Willow: take on filling out a community board and have posted in store; also will work with Chad to streamline email communication with new members

 

Problems with Shift Planning: info sheet on process handed out in orientation should be on website
ACTION ITEM:: Emily will follow up with conversation with Chad and Willow about getting that to happen

Monthly finance report (here)

  • Average weekly sale for May: $12,159
  • Range from $10,589 (over Memorial Day weekend) to $13,455 (the second-highest amount all year!!)
  • Broke 300 shoppers for one week; the rest of the weeks ~280 shoppers
  • Average basket size ~$40
  • Feedback about $50 basket campaign: some people felt pressured as they could not afford $50/week as a single person.Maybe we can change emphasis to bringing in friends rather than buy more; we need more families; emphasis on bringing in members as opposed to increasing the average basket size to $50 also helps coop get the labor resources we need.

Committee Updates 8:15-8:45 (30 mins) (Committee Chairs)

  • General updates and asks for help or support
  • Willow and Membership: about 3 people on social media; 2 graphic designers which is short on labor, many people are working on newsletter, which should be evaluated/analyzed; seeking to get more general-help committee members; some suggestions to use a FB group as a community board; Willows project idea: mural project on the gates to cover graffiti. Emily has a friend that facilitates mural projects; Keith’s caveat is that any images of people will be approved by the subjects; consensus is that we own the gates, but we all feel we should communicate intentions with the landlord

Space 8:45-8:55 (10 mins) (Keith)
Update on our options such as a long term lease or co-partners

  • Go to HUD- lobby that we are a “community benefit”
    • *find out if it is HUD or HBD
    • Speak to Paula Seagal with 596 Acres (expert at protecting and lobbying)

Keith on update: Owner, Renee, wanted to use the office space for meetings, landlord is not showing half of the office space; how is the estate arranged in order to find out who has say in the future of the building.
Emily asks: will we be held responsible to empty out the half of the office space that the landlords want to rent. They won’t show the space until September. We will have a 30 day notice before we have to clear out the area. Ultimately, we want to turn the office into retail space. Who coordinates the clean-up? DBOP which is basically Darryl and his wife. Pablo is still around. And a few others that appear in the middle of the night and help out like elfin cobblers.

Other Topics 8:55 – 9:05 (10 mins)
Review of items “parked” during meeting and space for discussion/comments on topics not on the main
agenda. Items will require more time to discuss may be included as future agenda items.

Willow’s friend thinks the store should be featured in Humans of New York (HONY). She’ll start on that.

Closing 9:05 – 9:10 (5 min) (Notetaker)
Board review/approval: Board reviews votes at the end of each GM
No votes taken.

Agenda Items for Next Month
Need to follow up on what we’re doing with cleaning out the office space.

BOD 5.25.16 Meeting Notes

Board of Directors ~ May. Mtg
Wed., May 25, 7.30 – 9.30 pm
The Co-op: 18 Putnam Ave, Brooklyn

Facilitator: Christina
Note-taker: Shaina
Timekeeper: Jeannie

Directors Present: Keith, Jeannie, Christina
Directors Absent: Renee
Others in attendance: DK Holland, Shaina Garfield, Pierre Andre, Tanya Dwyer (TED),
Albert Speranza (Park Slope)

Approve Minutes (1 min.) from previous GM (please read beforehand on the Website)

Consent Agenda (2 min)
A collective vote on decisions that have already been made or that don’t generally require/solicit discussion. Attendees can pull out any item they would like more discussion on, and this item will be moved to discussion at the end of the meeting. Information on all consent agenda item votes will be circulated in advance of the meeting.

Finance & Membership Reports – pls include comparison from previous month (5 min)

$1,059,201.84 SALES TO DATE
265.3636364 shoppers
$44.50 average per week

  • May’s weekly sales avg is: $12,158.95, down from $500 from previous month
  • Our 2016 weekly sales avg is: $11,717.00
  • April Active membership is: 368, up 16 from March due to letter sent to deactivated members, asking them to come back, no make up necessary!
  • Analysis: we capped at $12,500 weekly last month. Probably won’t go over this until we have more members. Still need ppl to spend $5 more/mo. Heading into summer lull. How can we avoid last year’s financial scare?
  • Follow up on Financial documents (Jeannie 5 min) Wrote to Renee
    • Renee: did not receive anything from Jeannie??

Coordinator check-in (Lauryl, 15 min) -No Lauryl (out sick)

  • Re: Permanent Store Coordinator hires. Timeline for this has been extended a month due to committee capacity-I hope to be sending out times for Board members to interview/confirm Sylvianne, Shannon & Angelica as additional coordinators in late June/early July. Checked in briefly with Bianca about Finances & got an OK on this spending.
  • New coordinators have been doing great so far & operations continue to get smoother/member training & support stronger.
  • Recruited more committee members for critical gaps including Revel Inventory Management Team (Susan has trained a couple more who are now getting started on receiving in Revel), Merchandising (Bulk category buyer + milk buyer have been trained and are currently ordering).

Space (Keith, 30 min)

  • Discuss issues : use of our space/Developer/possible relocation
  • Renee Collymore-use of other half of space for her campaign thru September
  • Tax Arrears/Developer-Air rights, tax arrears, options (including relocation)
  • Tanya Dwyer-TED resident working on community intiatives in Crown Heights
  • Need to look at documents (Surrogate Court- go to clerk and request case file for the estate of our Landlord) to determine options such as long term lease or co-partners
    • Go to HUD- lobby that we are a “community benefit”
    • *find out if it is HUD or HBD
    • Speak to Paula Seagal with 596 Acres (expert at protecting and lobbying)
    • PR- NPR, newspaper, letters, emails, etc
    • Block 1991, Lot 3
    • Keith and Christina will be taking lead with this

Alcohol License (Jeannie, 10min)

  • Status with application
  • In process, Jeannie has reached out to Alex
  • Renee (not present): FWIW, I reached out to Alex a month ago and here’s what he said: “I passed off the application Jeannie Lee about a month ago. I’m not really actively involved in it anymore, but last I heard there were some financial documents that needed to be found in order to complete the filing.” I did reach out to Jeannie at that time to get an update on the status but Jeannie wanted to take it to the Board first

Investment Refund (All, 20min) – Spent 40 min on this topic

  • Below are the current comments…
  • “We request $450 to redeem 3 members investments who are in dire need. This includes, for instance, a member who has become legally blind who had to move away to save money and can no longer shop.” – DK (Relief Council committee)
  • “It was a …mistake to make what is an equity investment returnable because this is NOT the case unless a business is making $$$ and we are not, but if these people are in such dire need then the board should do a resolution to pay them do pay them and that be it….” – Bianca (Finance Committee)
    • Questions to resolve / vote on…
    • Do we give the redemption to the three with our current financial situation?
      Motion- $450 cap amount for the Membership Relief Council Committee to give these 3 members in dire need
    • Vote was passed unanimously

[if Renee present] Board Check in (Renee/All, 20 min) No Renee

  • A discussion to see what directors feel most passionate about at GHFC. Where do they currently focus their energies, where or what would they like to or think we should focus on?

Review and approve votes (notetaker, 3 min)

Bike Rack (extra topics discussed)

  • Humans of NY – look for financial assistance, advertising
  • Pierre will email Kelsey (PR)
  • Shaina presented her “Backyard Revival” project- will direct her the “Design Build Committee”
  • “The Ideal Kickstarter Project” – Internal fundraising→ IOBY→ Humans of NY
  • Wayfinder signs, Green Maps, etc
    • Mail Server-
      • Marketing research- Mailchimp is the best option for the Co-op
      • Renee (not present at mtg): Send Grid is another alternative option that only costs $10/mo. Renee had asked Marketing and Sonia from IT to check it out…Sonia did and supports it…didn’t get a solid reason from Marketing why they don’t support Send Grid.
      • Motion- 3 Month MailChimp Trial at $195 cap then re-assess
      • Vote was passed 3 yes and 1 no (renee) and finance does not support.

Next General Meeting is Wed., June 22 – 7:30-9:30pm at The Co-op.
Next Board Mtg is Wed, July 27, 7:30-9:30pm at the Co-op.

All are welcome. Please email [email protected] if you have suggestions for the agenda (work credit applies!)

G.M. Meeting Notes 3.23.16

General Meeting AGENDA
Wednesday, March 23, 7.30 – 9.30pm
The Co-op: 18 Putnam Ave, Brooklyn

Facilitator: Emily Miner
Minute-taker: Emily Miner
Minute-takers – please see link to secretary responsibilities.

Directors in attendance: Keith, Christina, Renee
Absent: Jeannie, Lauryl

Any person attending may participate equally in discussions, but only Co-op members/owners may vote on any issues. Member/owners may receive work credit if they attend (allotted 1 time a year).

Next General Meeting is June 22nd at the store. Want to be a facilitator, secretary, timekeeper or to propose items for a future GM agenda? Please email [email protected]

Welcome/Orientation 7:30-7:40 (10 min.)
Welcome and introductions. Brief explanation of the purpose of the General Meeting. Questions welcomed!

Consent Agenda: 7:40-7:45 (5 mins) (Facilitator)
A collective vote on decisions that have already been made or that don’t generally require/solicit discussion. Attendees can pull out any item they would like more discussion on, and this item will be moved to discussion at the end of the meeting. Information on all consent agenda item votes will be circulated in advance of the meeting.

  • Ratify minutes from previous GM (please read beforehand on the Website)
    • Minutes ratified

Meeting Warm-up 7:45-8:05 (20 min.) (Emily Miner)
Interactive group activity to get to know each other and get in a “cooperative” spirit.

Membership and Finance Reports 8:05 – 8:15 (10 min) (Membership; Finance)

  • Monthly membership report (here)
    • Current number of working members
    • Number of new members and deactivated in February
    • Number of exiting members waiting for investment returns
  • Monthly finance report (here)
    • There was a deficit in Dec of $11,000 due to increased merch spending in a low shopping month. Was the increased merch spending due to the fridge malfunctions?

2016 Review 8:15 – 8:35 (20 mins)
Project Management Sheet here for reference
BRIEF overview of what’s been happening in 2016 – there’s a lot, and that’s really exciting!

  • Increased sales
    • February weekly sales averaged $11,648, up from January’s weekly average of $9,896.
    • And last week, thanks to our new Friday hours, we broke $13,000!!
    • This is still below our $15,000 per week target.
  • Expanded hours
    • Open 5 days a week!
  • Streamlined membership hours
    • No check-in desk person anymore; reorganized hours
  • New board
    • Welcome Christina!
    • Still one member short
  • Revamped trial membership
    • At the end of February, the Membership Committee introduced a new trial membership sign up process. Instead of handwritten paper cards, all trial members will receive a GHFC membership card (key fob), just like regular members do.
    • This is an important improvement to our process because it allows us to better track trial members and their visits to the store — which means we can follow up with them more easily and encourage them to convert to full members!
    • Proposal to turn the computer around so that members or trial members can see it as they walk in, and cashiers can observe if people are low on hours or unable to shop.
    • Is it possible to scan fobs at the cash register?
  • Childcare options
    • The Childcare Working Group has had several meetings and plans are underway to run the first shift each Sunday as a “family-friendly” workshift. Beginning on Sunday, April 27, 9:15-11:45 there will be childcare provided for working members, including those who do flexible committee work and might want to come and work in the expansion space during that time. We currently have a call out for donations of some specific materials, this will appear in the next newsletter. Anyone who is interested in being part of the Working Group, with working a shift looking after the kids, or with having their child(ren) looked after should contact Emily Wilbourne, at [email protected]
    • Children will play near the front door. Shoppers, etc. will enter via the storeroom door for that particular shift.
  • Good Neighbor initiative
    • Good Neighbors is a volunteer program to help senior citizens over 65 shop at the Greene Hill Food Coop. Good Neighbors are transported via NYPD van program to the Greene Hill Food Coop every Wednesday at 3PM. Good Neighbor members will either start out with a 2 month free trial membership or Apple plan. The initiative began with the Willoughby Senior Center located at the Whitman Housing. Contact Beverly Emmons.
    • Keith visited the Senior Center and gave a presentation. However, they had a perception that they would get a 50% percent discount on our prices. Several people shopped the first week, focusing more on the dried goods (e.g., toilet paper, sugar). Unfortunately the next week, no one came, perhaps due to disappointment over the 50% discount.
    • Discussion to offer a discount for seniors and disabled people (10% + exemption from work shift), and discount for people below a certain income threshold, added to the bike rack.
  • Restarted monthly orientations
    • The Membership Committee is now conducting new member orientations every month. All new members are required to attend an orientation and trial members are highly encouraged to attend. Come learn more about our history, structure and mission. Learn about how to sign up for shifts and what you can do to help make our co-op successful.
    • Have had three so far. Most people were already members, although there were a few that were not members and were interested in getting more information about the co-op.
  • New Store Coordinators/hiring process
    • Six member-owners filled out W9 forms, oriented and training is currently in progress/started shifts as of last week. Job description and time period (3 month with next steps to be assessed by end of May).
    • Questions about current process: If we need to just cover Friday and Saturday, could we just hire one person do that? Plus another person to fill in when Lauryl or the other person is sick. SO we just need 2 ppl on the sooner end, rather than have several contractors? Not clear why this process needs to take several months, hiring could happen in just a few weeks.
    • Board members would like more transparency about the hiring process and potential to participate should they want to.

Enhancing MOM Operations 8:35 – 8:50 (15 mins) (Sara Cornish)

  • Increasing MOM yearly budget? – Did not discuss because no one from Marketing was present
  • Using Mailchimp for the Co-op newsletter – Did not discuss because no one from Marketing was present, but Finance does not support:
    • From Finance: until the store coordinator and merch expenses stabilize it wouldn’t be prudent to commit to any additional expenses. We simply do not have the money in the bank for anything more at the moment unless we want to cap merch or not hire the coordinator. The GM would need to vote on tradeoffs not just adding more things onto the table. I am still waiting for a budget and can’t make any analysis/proposals until that is received.
  • Devote budget to a Facebook/Instagram (Renee)
    • We can do an ad on FB/Instagram and could have a budget (e.g., $100 / year).
    • FB can target people that live in the vicinity to see our popup ads. We can determine the budget and time span.
      • Renee will talk to MOM to see if this can fit into the existing budget.
    • A member-owner (Dorothy from MRC) would like extra money to go to hardship cases via the Membership Relief Council.

Review and Finalize Board Roles 8:50 – 9:15 (25 mins) (Renee)

  • Finalize and define Liaison roles/responsibilities
    • Christina: MOM
    • Jeannie: Merch
    • Renee: Finance
    • Keith: ad hoc liaison (i.e., Governance, IT, DeBop)
    • Liaison roles/responsibilities: Liaison is the connection point. When that committee needs help, the liaison is the person that helps and supports them.
    • ACTION ITEM: all board members need to introduce themselves to their committee(s) if they have not done so already
  • Figure out Secretary/Notetaker for Board meetings (one person or split amongst Board?)
    • Ideal situation would be to have a dedicated (non Board-member) take notes. Barring that, there are 8 board meetings,so each member should take notes for 2 months.
  • Agenda creation will be rotated among all Board members – building succession and continuity!!
    • Renee will create an agenda guidelines document with dates, etc.
  • Determine how PM roles should be split
    • Keith and Renee will each check project dashboard to offer help and ensure connections are made. If either gets involved on a project or reaches out, cc the other so that both are in the loop.

Open Forum/Bike Rack 9:15 – 9:25 (10 mins) (Facilitator)
Review of items “parked” during meeting and space for discussion/comments on topics not on the main agenda. Items will require more time to discuss may be included as future agenda items.

  • Welcoming Committee: new efforts to make the coop “welcoming to all”.
    • New member orientations are training people on how to be welcoming

Closing 9:25 – 9:30 (5 min) (Notetaker)
Board review/approval: Board reviews votes at the end of each GM

  • No votes

Agenda Items for Next Month

  • Senior, disabled, and/or income-based discount and waiving of work requirement
  • Potentially MOM budget increase?