Articles by Board

Working Board Meeting Agenda and Interim Election

Wednesday, April 26th 2017,  7:00 – 9:00 pm

The Co-op: 18 Putnam Ave, Brooklyn

 

Facilitator:    

Note-taker:

Note-takers – please see link to secretary responsibilities.

Timekeeper:  

Directors Present:

Directors Absent:       

Others in attendance:

Any person attending may participate equally in discussions, but only Co-op members/owners may vote on any issues. Member/owners may receive work credit if they attend (allotted 1 time a year).

Next General Meeting is May 24th 2017 at the store. Want to be a facilitator, secretary, timekeeper or to propose items for a future GM agenda. Please email [email protected] (work credit always allotted)

Welcome/Orientation  7:00-7:05 (5min)

Welcome and introductions. Brief explanation of the purpose of the Board Meeting. Questions welcomed!

Approve Previous Meeting Minutes  7:05-7:10 (5min)

  • Link to minutes  from previous Board meeting for approval

1. Store Coordinator Update  7:20-7:30 (10min)

2. Lease Committee and Relocation  7:30- 7:40(10min)

3. Committee Reports  7:40-7:50 (10min)

  • Monthly membership report (link)
  • Monthly finance report are shared at the Meeting, please feel free to contact the board or finance if you have any questions.

Budgets:

IT (How is this pertinent with moving the website to SquareSpace)

In response to the request for committee budgets, I am proposing an estimate for upgrading GHFC servers (the web server and the database server).

* Web server — more memory and disk space — $90 per month

* Both servers — more memory and disk space — $180 per month

Upgrading the web server is the higher priority. It would mean faster performance and more stability for http://www.greenehillfood.coop/ and other greenehillfood.coop websites. As per Misha, We are currently paying 30/40 dollars per month depending on the server load

The squarespace ($20/mth) would be in addition to what we are paying now, because we’ll still need to run the civi website.

The Mailchimp ($50/mth) would be instead of sendgrid, which is what we are currently using. I am not sure how much that is

4. AGENDA – free flowing and aspirational discussions 7:50-8:45 (55min)

Interim board member election.

Re-organize Liaison including new board member, and officers role (see list at the end of Agenda)

Sharing current Situation w/ Members at large (content and format) Relocation Questions

PSFC change of policy for shift reporting

Dual Members shift reporting policy

GHFC shift banking system

How to insure a good flow of information between committees and the board (content and format)

5. Bike Rack  8:45 – 8:55 (10min) (Notetaker)

Member/owners may receive work credit if they attend (allotted 1 time a year).

  • Note from Renée B: Not clear why this is on here because this is the current situation, changed and voted on by the Board in early 2016?

Closing  8:55 – 9:00 (5min) Board reviews votes at the end of each Meeting

Board Organization:

    • Finance: Committee chair Bianca Orlando, Liaison Christopher Gollmar
    • Merchandising: Committee chair Sarah Chinn, Liaison Lauryl Berger-Chun
    • Marketing & Website: Committee chair Ray Jolicoeur, Liaison Chris Gollmar
    • Outreach: Committee chair Ray Jolicoeur, Liaison Christopher Gollmar
    • Membership: Committee chair Chad Donnick, Liaison Cecile Arnaud
    • Investment: Committee chair Renee B, Liaison Cecile Arnaud
    • IT: Committee chair Misha Avrekh, Liaison Cecile Arnaud
    • Governance: Committee chair — , Liaison Christina LeMoine
    • Operations: (renamed from Design build/Operations)  Committee chair Penelope August, Liaison Elizabeth Agee
    • HR: Committee chair Megan Curran, Liaison Christina LeMoine

Job Posting: Store Coordinator

Greene Hill Store Coordinator: Job Description

The Co-op is looking for additional Store Coordinators to support store operations, member training, and education. The Store Coordinator position is a combination of retail grocery management and community organizing. During their first six months, new hires will be Store-Coordinators-In-Training. Depending on individual availability, this position ranges from 8-20 hours per week at $18/hour.

Primary Tasks & Responsibilities

    • Train & support members in general operations of the store &/or perform the following tasks in case of being short-staffed:
      • Open/Close
      • Receive
      • Stock
      • Cashier/Cash Handle/Bank Deposits
      • Welcome/explain the Co-op to prospective members & sign up trial & new members
    • Manage labor coverage by monitoring Shift Planning, Shift Trade Group & Shift Coverage Sheet, posting notices in store highlighting most needed weekly coverage & following up with members via phone & email
    • Ensure compliance with health codes & other applicable laws
    • Update item prices/profiles in Revel Point of Sale System & on shopping floor
    • Submit claims & returns to vendors
    • Communicate with buyers re: special orders, new items, & other inventory issues
    • Communicate with Membership, Outreach, Finance & other committees as needed
    • Participate in monthly Coordinator Meetings & work together with other coordinators to improve & build store systems
    • Communicate through Coordinator Store Log to ensure consistency/follow through on issues
    • Promote a climate of coordination & empowerment in alignment with Greene Hill’s Mission(including the cooperative principles ).
      • Actively maintain knowledge of products, membership, & current events in order to answer member questions.
      • Identify & develop member leadership to match skills with store needs

 

Each Store Coordinator reports to the Coordinator group as a whole. Staff will collectively evaluate & determine this position’s priorities & conduct mutual evaluations. The Coordinator group will provide a monthly update to the Board of Directors meeting. There is currently one voting ex officio position on the Board for Store Coordinator & the staff person in this role consults with Coordinators as a whole before votes.

Qualifications & Characteristics

      • Strong communication & organizational skills, the ability to teach procedures, delegate tasks, and give, receive and incorporate feedback.
      • Capacity for regular sustained physical labor is expected, e.g. lifting boxes of up to 60 pounds, lifting & lowering a steel security gate, standing for up to 7 hours at a time.
      • Experience working in cooperatives, food, education &/or community organizing preferred; working knowledge &/or desire to learn more of the working food cooperative business structure, principles & values expected.
      • Availability during the following times strongly preferred: Weekdays 2:30 -9:30pm; Fridays 8am-1pm; Saturdays/Sundays 9:15am- 6:30pm.

 

To Apply

Please send a resume and a short letter of your interest in the position to [email protected] with the subject “Store Coordinator Application.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until filled.

General Meeting Notes 1/25/17

General Meeting Notes
Wednesday, January 25th, 2017, 7:30 – 9:30 pm
The Co-op: 18 Putnam Ave, Brooklyn
Facilitator: Jeannie
Note-taker:  Cecile
Note-takers – please see link to secretary responsibilities.
Timekeeper: Ray
Directors Present: Jeannie, DK, Cecile, Lauryl, Elizabeth, Christina
Directors Absent:
Others in attendance: Reina Kennedy, Tess Dworman, Emma Hedditch, Erika McGinty, Lindsay Reichart, Gunnar Burke, Ray Jolicoeur
Any person attending may participate equally in discussions, but only Co-op members/owners may vote on any issues. Member/owners may receive work credit if they attend (allotted 1 time a year).
Next General Meeting is February 22nd 2017 at the store. Want to be a facilitator, secretary, timekeeper or to propose items for a future GM agenda. Please email [email protected].

Welcome/Orientation  7:30-7:35 (5 min)

Welcome and introductions. Brief explanation of the purpose of the Board Meeting. Questions welcomed!

Consent Agenda  7:35-7:40 (5 mins)

A collective vote on decisions that have already been made or that don’t generally require/solicit discussion. Attendees can pull out any item they would like more discussion on, and this item will be moved to discussion at the end of the meeting. Information on all consent agenda item votes will be circulated in advance of the meeting.

  • Ratify minutes from previous Board meeting  ratified: yes:11 abstention:1

1. Store Coordinator Update  7:40-7:50 (10min)

  • Updates for new hires Amie & Raina  Working members do not need to pay investment but if they stop working at the Coop they can only stay member if they pay investment.

2. Membership and Finance Report  7:50-8:05 (15min)

  • Monthly membership report (here)need update
    • Current number of working members: 437
    • Number of new members and deactivated in November: 15 new members,  2 reactivated member,  41 trial members
    • Number of existing members waiting for investment returns: under 50 as per GM 10/26/16
    • We’ve seen roughly a 25% increase in membership since January.
  • Monthly finance report

 

3. Boards Re-organization 8:05-8:20 (15min) (Board)

  • Tabled from last meeting:
    • GHFC accounts Doc. Update access spreadsheet  Sean Mullane can update
    • GHFC Board/Chairs contact list to be updated Cecile will share the doc with committee chairs for update
  • Vote for a new President: Postponed until we find another other board member
  • Reassign tasks taken on by Keith:  List tasks
  • Recruiting a new board member:  Reach out to members through the website, next newsletter, talking around If you are interested please e-mail at [email protected]
  • Clarify board members liaison roles :
    • Finance & Merchandising: JEANNIE
    • Marketing & Website: DK
    • Outreach: DK through Ray Jolicoeur
    • Membership & Investment: CECILE
    • IT: CECILE
    • Store coordinators: CHRISTINA
    • Governance: CHRISTINA
    • Operations: ELIZABETH (renamed from Design build/Operations)
    • HR: CHRISTINA
    • Relocation: CECILE
  • Lauryl is pointing out that the board members need to read the bylaws about the ex-officios board members for compliance issue (only one ex-officios allowed). DK suggested to amend bylaws. Christina to reach out to Governance to check on this issue.

4.  Committees updates  8:20-8:50 (30min) (Committee liaisons)

  • Finance= Report presented by Jeannie at the meeting
  • Merch=
    • The Merch team has noticed that the glass front fridges are breaking down with more frequency. Elizabeth to reach out to Operation to fix the problem.
    • Merch has started to switch buying by categories, in general we need more members for categories and at the moment  Merch really need one member for “Snacks” and one for “Frozen”.
  • Beer license= Lindsay Reichart, Gunnar Burke, Todd Miner are taking over the completion of the beer license. Lindsay went through the application, it needs some updates, and re-signing. Time frame 6 months. We can only do beer, NY state does not allow to have beer and wine (it would require a different license).
  • Marketing= Ray, has been able to reach many members of the marketing team. Some Co-op Board shared their thoughts and ideas for marketing priorities for 2017

Updates on 3 main priorities:

    • Update on website Erika is working on the revamping
    • Update on Newsletter and Social Media – Meeting 2/1/17 – Update at Next Board meeting
    • Update on plans for eventual storefront upgrade so that passers-by can:
      • understand what the Co-op is about
      • be motivated to join
      • Better overall esthetics
      • More complete update at a future Board meeting
    • Create a sign for the delivery hours – Ray is coordinating
    • Next Open House: proposed date April 8th. Verious ideas have been explored by the Outreach Committee such as a raffle (yoga teacher,… using members resources to offer prizes – see Outreach committee for details)
    • New project to establish member services directory so we can add it to the website. Marketing will work with Membership and Outreach committees to establish this directory.
  • IT= Misha is compiling some stand alone tasks for potential IT helpers, Cecile sent doc. to Marketing and Membership to add/edit tasks list.  Also to propose reaching out to Park Slope for recruiting, voted YES Misha please reach out to Park Slope.
  • Gov= Still need an assistant? A:Mira is coordinating a meeting in January. Meeting did not happen. Christina sent an email, no response. Christina to call Mira, reach out to Lauryl about it and concern about privacy
  • Membership=
    • New Member Onboarding process: (Alexandra Peters & Sophie Masure) Orientation and follow-up/informational emails and how a new member works their first shift.  Updates? None
    • Trial member follow-up: (Outreach Carolyn Romberg). Trial member follow-up: large pool of trial members who don’t sign up. Contact by phone, by email? Trial members not clear about transfer to full membership at check-in, updates? Reina said that this task has been spread out.
    • Member labor enforcement starting:  In October, we had roughly: 427 active members (-112 trial members) =  315 active members (-60 committee/board folks -75  floaters) = 180 consistent store workforce. Reality is 114 are working, so 65 of our current active members are not working = 20% of active members not working. Updates? None
      • Upcoming initiatives:
        • Check-in system email notifications for low hours updates? None
        • Double make-ups for no-show shifts. Updates? None
    • Membership Committee Chair replacement: Chad Donnick is leaving end of April 2017. For more information about what this position entails, email [email protected]. Marketing  just put an ad on the home page
  • Membership/Investments = Renee Bergan has taken charge of Investment. Has Renee been made aware that Finance would like to alerted to requests to have record? Update? Cecile sent email to  Renee about finance request.

5. Committee Asks and Gives  8:50-9:00 (10mins) (Committee Chairs)
Committees asks for help or support / others give

  • Marketing = Marketing needs the profiles and pictures from every board member – please.
  • Merch= Looking for a buyer to take over snacks.
  • Finance = Requesting budget from each committee. Relocation needs a recommendation about maximum rent
  • Gov= needs assistant
  • Membership/Investments = Communication with Finance
  • IT = Update from last meeting question: Is [email protected] account redirecting email to the committee chairs?

Misha answered: [email protected] redirects to the respective committee mailing lists and not to individual chairs or members. Committee chairs all have the primary responsibility for managing the lists for their own committees.

  • Operation= Relocation needs helps for “move budget”, also need a budget to replace refrigerator and freezer in the store in case they totally break down.

6. Lease Committee and Relocation  9:00- 9:15 (15mins) (Board)

  • Update on the current situation DK:  The case was dismissed in court January 3rd because Collymores’ lawyer was absent. A meeting is set-up to meet with Renee collymores to discuss: Renee apparently want for us to give up the expansion space. Letisha James will be present. DK, Christina, and Matthew will attend.
  • Relocation (Matthew and Cecile):
    • Meeting with Eric Adams Borough President 01/12/17: empathetic to our cause but pointed out that real estate prices are high in our neighborhood. He suggested we follow up with Richard Bearak, Borough Land Use Director.
    • Meeting with Robert Perris CB2 District Manager 01/12/17: he was familiar with our circumstance. We discussed Coop options moving forward: (CB=Community Board)
      • Garden of Eden: Obtaining empty lot from the city: dissuaded because the containers would be a huge hassle; starting from scratch
      • Angel: someone that would help the coop buy a space for us to have permanently; he had spoken with a friend at the Park Slope Food Coop and was told that PSFC is not the organization that could ever make the decision to purchase a building because of their decision making process is not one that could handle such a procedure
      • Partner: find a developer that would benefit by having a grocery store as part of their development, ie, they’re able to build higher in exchange for the community benefit of coop as tenant through program like FRESH; CB3 carries that program, CB2 does not.

We spoke of specific locations and their potential, e.g. empty loft building on Fulton next to Crispus Attucks playground between Downing and Irving. The senior center a little west of there is going to take that building over. Maybe we can work on getting the main floor there?
Suggested we get a hold of his counterpart in CB3, Henry Butler.
He also suggested we contact Director of City Planning, Brooklyn, Winston VonEngel and deputy director Alex Sommer,
For info: as per blueprint our current location is 2496 SF including party-walls: Storage and Walk-in: 500SF – Store: 1096SF – Extension: 900SF

7. Bike Rack  9:15 – 9:25 (10mins) (Notetaker)

  • GM and Board Meeting to be move from 7:30 to 7:00 voted yes
  • Marketing suggested Mural on roller down gates? Lindsay Reichart to reach out to Marketing as she is interested in the mural and Marketing wants to make other change to the front store to make it more obvious that the store is open, Marketing to present budget for those changes
  • Rebecca Schwartz: I work with businesses in Brooklyn such as Citrico, Faun, & Dos Toros. I help these businesses put together energy plans that gets them running on 100% renewable energy at low rates, while also providing complete energy management services. Essentially, my job is to lighten your load by managing everything that your business does with regards to energy, while also reducing your costs and helping to make you a leader in New York’s renewable energy scene. I’d love to set up a quick 10-15 minute meeting so I can explain everything that I do – I am sure you’re busy and I promise to make it worth your while. If you’d prefer, we can set up a call. Would you let me know a few good times to meet? I’d appreciate the time and think Phoenix Energy could be a great benefit to Greene Hill Food Co-op and I’d love to show you how. [email protected] who are buying electricity, Elizabeth to find out who is our current supplier Jeannie says ConEdison and if Rebecca Schwartz proposition is interesting
  • Member/owners may receive work credit if they attend (allotted 1 time a year). Reconsider 1 time year, Next meeting
  • Avoiding store shut down on open hours: Determine the amount of extra hours for the store coordinators per week to cover for members shift shortage Christina is organizing a meeting with store coordinators to discuss
  • Position of the Store coordinator(s) with respect to the board

Closing  9:25 – 9:30 (5 min) (Notetaker)

Board review/approval:  Board reviews votes at the end of each GM

Keith Almon

A Community Bids Farewell

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 10.21.23 AM

It’s with very heavy hearts we share the news of our fellow Co-op member-owner, Board president, brother, and friend Keith Almon’s sudden passing. Keith was hospitalized at New York Presbyterian in Park Slope on New Year’s Eve and passed away of pneumonia on January 12.

Many of us will remember Keith fondly for his ingenuity, passion, and inspiring dedication to all things Greene Hill. It goes without saying that Keith will be missed; he worked tirelessly to see our Co-op through growing pains but you could always get a laugh from him and exchange sarcastic remarks or recipe advice. It will be very hard (maybe impossible) to forget his big infectious smile.

Keith was born on July 10, 1957, and grew up in Las Cruces, New Mexico. He attended Harvard University, where he majored in economics and was very politically active. Professionally, Keith was a self-employed graphic designer.

Keith and his partner Bruce lived in the Brooklyn neighborhoods of Clinton Hill and Fort Greene beginning in 2002. Already part of the Park Slope Food Co-op, they became members of Greene Hill as soon as it opened. Keith was passionate about food and cooking and volunteered to cook for homeless men at the Church of St. Luke and St. Matthew in Clinton Hill, which he and Bruce attended.

The Co-op Board has established a fund to help return his body to New Mexico for burial as requested by his mother; please make a donation at the store or access the Keith Almon Fund through PayPal.

A memorial for Keith will be held at The Hill Café on January 23rd.  For more information please contact [email protected].

A Hugely Rewarding Opportunity

Membership Committee Seeks New Chairperson

The Membership Committee is looking for an active and organized member-owner to take over as Membership Chairperson.
Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 10.16.13 AMAre you looking for a hugely rewarding opportunity to make change at the Co-op? The Membership Committee is looking for an active and organized member-owner to take over the Membership chair duties.

As chairperson, you will steer initiatives to improve the overall membership experience. You’ll fine-tune existing processes, create new processes, and help field member questions. Your responsibility also lies in guiding Membership Committee members to accomplishing its tasks and ensuring that new ideas are given the chance to flourish.

You will also contribute to identifying new avenues to reach potential members. Working with the Outreach Committee, you will organize the Co-op’s Open House events and celebrate the diversity of new members; together with the Marketing Committee, you will support efforts to highlight the benefits of joining and participating in the Greene Hill Food Co-op community.

The chair position will require more than the minimum 2½ hours of work every four weeks, but how much more is up to you, your initiatives, and what you delegate. You’ll be trained by the current chairperson and given ample time to transition into the role. We ask for a one-year minimum commitment to this position. Please contact [email protected] if you’re interested.

General Meeting Notes 12/21/16

General Meeting Notes
Wednesday, December 21st, 2016, 7.30 – 9.30 pm
The Co-op: 18 Putnam Ave, Brooklyn

Facilitator: Elizabeth
Note-taker:  Finn
Note-takers – please see link to secretary responsibilities.
Timekeeper:  Jeannie
Directors Present: DK, Elizabeth, Christina, Cecile, Keith and Jeannie
Directors Absent: Lauryl
Others in attendance: Erika McGinty , Finn Upham, Steven Russo
Any person attending may participate equally in discussions, but only Co-op members/owners may vote on any issues. Member/owners may receive work credit if they attend (allotted 1 time a year).
Next General Meeting is March 22d 2017 at the store. Want to be a facilitator, secretary, timekeeper or to propose items for a future GM agenda? Please email [email protected].

Welcome/Orientation 7:30-7:35 (5 min) DK
Welcome and introductions. Brief explanation of the purpose of the General Meeting. Questions welcomed! This general meeting is a holiday celebration and celebration of the Co-op’s improvement (along with agenda items outlined below).
Consent Agenda: 7:35-7:45 (10 mins) (—-?—-)
A collective vote on decisions that have already been made or that don’t generally require/solicit discussion. Attendees can pull out any item they would like more discussion on, and this item will be moved to discussion at the end of the meeting. Information on all consent agenda item votes will be circulated in advance of the meeting.

Membership and Finance Reports 7:45 – 8:00 (15min) (Membership; Finance)
Monthly membership report (here)

  • Current number of working members: 437
  • Number of new members and deactivated in November: 15 new members,  2 reactivated member,  41 trial members
  • Number of existing members waiting for investment returns:  no update available under 50 as per GM 10/26/16
  • We’ve seen roughly a 25% increase in membership since January.

Membership initiatives

  • New Member Onboarding process standards creation (props to Alexandra Peters & Sophie Masure). The way we onboard new members has been very inconsistent. This causes confusion and frustration, particularly with regards to when and how a new member works their first shift. We’ve identified the ideal new member onboarding communication flow, which includes orientation and follow-up/informational emails. We will start rolling this out incrementally in January.
  • Trial member follow-up (Outreach – props to Carolyn Romberg). We can do much better with our approach to trial member follow-up. Earlier this year we changed the way the trial member signup process works so the information is tracked directly in our CRM (where all of our regular member information is tracked). This allowed us to provide trial members with keyfobs to scan in for shopping, a measure that was meant to promote ownership in the Co-op (even though they aren’t owners yet). Many of our new member signups start as trial members, but there is still a very large pool of trial members who don’t sign up and we never hear from again. Outreach is taking on the task of following up with trial members to see how their experience is and encourage them to join as a full member. This initiative is in its first month.
  • Q: How are trial members contacted? By phone, by email?
  • Member labor enforcement starting in January. Historically, we haven’t been consistent enforcing the Co-op’s labor requirements. Labor is everyone’s responsibility as a requirement of their ownership in the Co-op. With the store now being open 7 days a week, there are even more shifts that need coverage.

We ran some numbers in October. At that time, we had 427 active members (-roughly 112 trial members) so that leaves about 315 active members.  Minus our committee/board folks (60) and floaters (75) and that will give us our consistent store work force of 180 but reality is 114 are working, so that means about 65 of our current active members are not working = about 20% of members not working
These numbers are rough and they do not account for members we show as active in the system who perhaps aren’t actively shopping anymore. That said, it does still illustrate a labor shortage.
Point:
Trial members not clear about process of transfer to full membership at check-in
Keith gave an example of 3 during one Saturday shift that he personally took care of.
Upcoming initiatives:

  • Check-in system email notifications for low hours. When a member checks in and is shown as low on hours or a “no go”, and email will be sent to them and Membership notifying them of the low hours with instructions on what to do.
  • Double make-ups for no-show shifts. The policy is that no-showing a shift requires a double make-up, but this has been difficult to enforce. We are exploring ways to track & enforce this. In the meantime, if you are going to miss a shift, you must make an effort to find a replacement through the work shift trade group. If you are sick or need to miss a shift at the last minute, you must call the store to notify them. Making an effort to find a replacement/notify the store excuses you from the double make-up, but you will still need to make up the shift you are missing.
  • Membership Committee Chair replacement. Chad Donnick is leaving the Membership Committee Chair post at the end of April 2017. We’re actively recruiting for a chair or co-chairs to replace him. For more information about what this position entails, email [email protected]

Monthly finance report:
LInk to Profit & Loss Summary:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0sBFqsPR1yTeTZhRTV4Vk1tbGs/view?usp=sharing
Link not updated
OCTOBER 2016 SALES (31 days)

TOTAL BASKETS 1,845
AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $36.00
TOTAL SALES $67,485
GROSS MARGIN* $21,341.92

  Average daily total sales = $2,070.84
NOVEMBER 2016  (30 days) (Nov. 11th open 7days)

TOTAL BASKETS 1,561
AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $35.21
GROSS SALES $56,341.82
GROSS MARGIN* $13,176.85

Average daily total sales $470.57
DECEMBER 2016  (20 days)

TOTAL BASKETS 1,046
AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $37.17
GROSS SALES $39,829.92
GROSS MARGIN* $10169.92

Average daily total sales $508.45
*Note: Gross Margin is Sales minus Cost of Goods Sold. Does not include spoilage. Figures are from Revel.
JANUARY to DECEMBER 2016  (Year to date)

TOTAL BASKETS 15,451
AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $39.29
GROSS SALES $622,010.43
GROSS MARGIN* $154,744.88

Liaison Updates 8:00-8:20 (20mins) (Board:Committee Liaisons)

  • Finance = A new process for making deposits has been created by Lauryl. Will look to possibly add myself as a signer for our account. Next projects: Financing Lawyers, Financial analysis for relocation. Finance will start reaching out to each committee to submit budget for the year.
  • Merch =  The team is moving ever closer to category buying. We’ve divided up all the merchandise into categories, and aligned our vendors with them. They now have to assign categories and figure out the nitty gritty.
  • Marketing >> After a period of orientation, Ray is finally on board as marketing chair. He’s started interacting with members of the marketing team (at least those that make themselves reachable) and is asking the Co-op Board for their thoughts and ideas for marketing priorities for 2017. Ray has established 3 main priorities to tackle in the New Year:
    • 1) Updating the website to today’s standards in terms of look and feel, as well as improve its communication of the Co-op’s Mission and Values, with the aim of attracting more members, increasing the number of store visits and the size of every basket;
    • 2) Update the Newsletter and Social Media in the same way;
    • 3) Developing additional storefront signage to facilitate communication of the Co-op’s workings so that passers-by can a) understand what the Co-op is about, and b) be motivated to join and become members themselves.

OPEN HOUSE January 14: The artwork is done and signs/flyers will be dropped off this week.

  • IT= We need to “strengthen” the IT committee.
  • Gov = Still need an assistant? A: Mira is coordinating a meeting in January.
  • Membership/Investments= Renee Bergan will take charge of Investment after Christmas? A: Cecile may follow up.

Cecile sending email to Jenine Osbon who recently contacted us about reimbursement for her and her husband investment, she has made many requests: email was sent 12/22//16

CHRISTINA is following up with Renee concerning her engagement with investment committee and request update for next meeting,… see also on Bike rack
Committee Asks and Gives 8:20-8:35 ( 15mins) (Committee Chairs)

  • Committees asks for help or support / others give
  • Marketing = Ray, open house: January 14th?, promotional effort?, vendors?, tasting?
  • Jill is coordinating open house
  • Merch= Always looking for more buyers
  • Finance = Requesting budget from each committee. Have yet to receive.
  • IT= Keith did you reach Misha? Cecile will work with Keith to take on liaison role
  • Gov= needs assistant
  • Membership/Investments= Renee Bergan will take charge of Investment after Christmas?
  • Note: Keith to check if [email protected] account is redirecting email to the committee chairs

Store Coordinator Updates 8:35-8:40 (5 mins) (Store Coordinators)

  • New hires Amie & Raina are currently in training!: have shadowed on opening/closing procedures, member labor training., cash handling, Revel POS backend & also worked shifts independently
  • New cash handling procedures finalized & currently in place
  • Reminder note — Store will be CLOSED Dec. 25th & Jan. 1st

LEASE COMMITTEE UPDATES AND QUESTIONS: 8:45 – 9:05 ( 20mins) (Board and Vincent)

  • Update on the current situation, lease, court date, pro-bono attorneys, strategie, outreach…DK/Vincent
  • Cecile will bring the Coop’s affidavit to Steve for it to be notarised.
  • Court date Jan 3rd, Kristina and Keith will attend.
  • CB2, Vincent/DK
  • Relocation, Matthew and Cecile

As per plan shared by Jeannie, our current location is 2496 SF including parti-walls, divided as follow:
– storage and walk-in: 500 SF
– store: 1096 SF
– “office”: 900 SF

  • Finance to make a recommendation as the rent range to be considered in lease negotiations. (Jeannie)
  • Motion: Keith and DK and Latisha (public member) to meet Renee Collymore (Landlord).
  • Pass with One Abstain

Bike Rack 9:05 – 9:15 (10mins) (Notetaker)

  • GM and Boards facilitators,…Emily is on leave,…we need to find someone
    • Meghan to be contact, past successes, Kristina can back up for Chairing. Finn can moderate in the future.
  •  Investments:
    • Finance would like to be alerted to requests to have the record, reach out to Renee
    • Christina: to reach out to Renee to request an update at the next meeting.

Tabled for next meeting

  • GHFC accounts Doc. Update access spreadsheet
  • Position of the Store coordinator(s) with respect to the board
  • Further discussion of workflow on Investments

Closing 9:15 – 9:25 (5 min) (Notetaker)
Board review/approval:  Board reviews votes at the end of each GM
Was  discussed and decided among Board Members:
Board titles:

President: Keith
Secretary: Christina
Treasurer: Jeannie
Committee liaisons:
Finance & Merchandising: JEANNIE
Marketing: DK
IT: KEITH being transferred to CECILE
Membership & Outreach (MOM): ?
Investment: ?
Store coordinators: CHRISTINA & KEITH
Governance: CHRISTINA
Design build: ELIZABETH
POP (People Operations projector HR): ?

Operations:

Winter Open House January 14

We are celebrating the new year at our Winter Open House…

Come Celebrate with us!

Saturday, January 14th
10am-6pm

There will be food samples, music and festivities. AND, whomever joins the co-op in store will save the $25 admin fee!

Board Meeting Notes 11/16/16

Board Meeting Notes
Wed., November 16, 2016, 7:30 – 9:30 pm
The Co-op: 18 Putnam Ave, Brooklyn

Facilitator: Alex
Note-taker: Jeannie
Note-takers – please see link to secretary responsibilities.
Timekeeper: Jeannie

Directors Present: Renee, Keith, Christina, Jeannie, Cecile
Directors Absent:
Coordinator Present: Lauryl
Others in attendance: Alex Still, Ray Jolicoeur , Mira De Jong (Governance), Rachel (ParkSlope Loan), Cecile Arnaud, Matthew Talmage, DK Holland

Any person attending may participate equally in discussions, but only Co-op members/owners may vote on any issues. Member/owners may receive work credit if they attend (allotted 1 time a year).

Next General Meeting is December 21 at the store. Want to be a facilitator, secretary, timekeeper or to propose items for a future GM agenda? Please email [email protected]

Welcome/Orientation 7:30-7:40 (10 min) (Facilitator)
Welcome and introductions. Brief explanation of the purpose of the General Meeting. Questions welcomed!

Consent Agenda: 7:40-7:45 (5 mins) (Facilitator)
The following will be voted on:
Loan Letters to be sent
Board elections

Ratify minutes from previous Board meeting –

Elections: (Mira)
Nominees for the Board : Elizabeth, Morgan & Cecile
VOTES:
YES= ( x46) Elizabeth & Cecile

Membership and Finance Reports 7:45 – 7:55 (10 min) (Membership; Finance)
Monthly membership report (here)
Aug: 400
Sept: 418
Oct: 427

Finance report:
LInk to Profit & Loss Summary (here):
SEPTEMBER 2016 (30 days/ 22 shopping days) (9/26/16 start of 7 days open)
TOTAL BASKETS 1,269
AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $38.35
GROSS SALES $50,006.43
GROSS MARGIN* $12,010.24
Average daily total sales $545.92

OCTOBER 2016 (31 days & 31 Shopping Days!!)
TOTAL BASKETS 1785
AVERAGE BASKET TOTAL SALES $36.55
GROSS SALES $67,196.17
GROSS MARGIN* $21,341.92
Average daily total sales $2,070.84

*Note: Gross Margin is Sales minus Cost of Goods Sold. Does not include spoilage. Figures are from Revel.

Loans:
We have 23 loans totaling $61k. By Jan. 2017, we are due to pay $20,486 in total interest & principal.
Finance is asking that the 2011 notes program lenders extend their loans by one or more years if they are due in 2017 or 2018 and that all of them consider partial or full forgiveness. For the refrigeration loans, finance proposes a 5 quarter delay in principal repayments or forgiveness. For the $12k POS loan where terms were not set, the letter to the sole lender proposes terms to be agreed on. For the three loans of $500 or under (including the two insulation loans), Finance proposes that they be repaid to ease the loan administration burden.

Finance has drafted 15 letters attached your your review (representing 21 of the loans) 2011 notes program lenders extend their loans by one or more years if they are due in 2017 or 2018 and that all of them consider partial or full forgiveness. For the refrigeration loans, finance proposes a 5 quarter delay in principal repayments or forgiveness.

ACTIONS & SUGGESTIONS:

  • To add that we have a repayment schedule
  •  March – Finance to come back with a schedule of payment
  •  Phone call to be made to major loan
  •  Financial reporting to be re-looked at?
  • Work on finding a new signer

VOTE: Do we agree to submit letters per the proposed plan that finance proposes above?
YES = 8
NO = 0
ABSTAIN = 0

Liaison Updates 7:55-8:00 (5 mins) (Board:Committee Liaisons)

  • Finance – Added new member to work on financial analysis
  • Merch – All is working on auto pilot / Amy’s has labor law issues / We currently do not carry
  • MOM – Ray is in charge of Marketing / Branding / Ray is working more towards working with other committees / Ray is professionally work with start up farms
  • Gov – Mira is the only person on Governance and would eventually like to step down / Keith is working to find more members
  • IT – Keith is working for additional help
  • Design Build – Kale is working on the space and looking to see how make more use of the expansion space / We need more talk about expansion which is tied in with the lease

The Role of A Cooperative Board 8:00-15 (15 mins) (Lauryl)

  • Handout: Lauryl came from a convention and has passed out
  • handouts that she thought she would find it useful
  • Co-op board self assessment tool evaluation form
  • Organizational Chart
  • The role of a coop board:
    -perpetuate itself (recruits new members, trains them)
    -serve as the link to members at large & maintain a well-informed membership
    -hire/fire & oversee the general manager

coop1 coop2

ACTIONS & SUGGESTIONS:

  • Board to review with new members their roles
  • The more members you have engaged at the meetings the more members you have involved in the coop
  • With new board members, to have a separate meeting
  • Board to add new members to google docs, etc.
  • At December GM meeting, have the board meet early to review board expectations and maybe create it as a party. Christina to coordinate with POP.

Staff Retention & Support 8:15-8:30 (15 min.) (Store Coordinator -Lauryl)

  • Goal(s):
    • -Empower staff to fulfill job description -hiring/training new staff (within the 60hrs/week bounds set by board)
    • @Board look at the cash flow statement and membership updates over the next three months
  • Store’s Monthly Payroll costs since adding more staff in Spring (info from cash flow sheet) have been as follows: Feb. 2,316; March 3,875 ; April 2,272; May 1,222; June 2,154; July 2,596; August 2,421; Sept. 2,943
  • OR an average of $2,474/month payroll over the last 8 months. In February 2016, our Ending Cash Balance was $23,734 & it has steadily improved since adding more staff capacity to $56,918 in September.
  • Having more staffing has enabled us to do the following things:
  • -Open 7 days/week
  • -Compost system overhaul (“it look SO good and clean & organized” -Dara, Master Composter @ BBG)
  • -Bethel Church soup kitchen relationship
  • -Shift Leader training
  • -Produce set up/closing procedure streamline to reduce waste
  • -Better stocking practices/more consistency
  • -Better feedback/on the ground reports to buyers about inventory levels
  • -Better quality control on the shopping floor
  • -Follow up communications w/ members re: missed shifts & make ups
  • -Stronger food safety compliance
  • -Membership responsiveness; being a presence in the store that can solve basic membership issues & sign up members on the spot more capably than general members
  • -Membership email response-quicker reply time
  • -Identifying inconsistencies in cash amounts
  • -Working w/ Board to improve cash handling procedures
  • -Product mix expansion & continuing to improve buying practices/support Merch committee
  • -save $ through logging more accurately returns, shorts & mispicks to vendors
  • -Receiving coverage for non-shopping hours

    QUESTIONS & ANSWERS:

  • Are we saying that there are not enough members doing the job? No, we need store coordinators to help get members involved
  • What did the board vote for a new store coordinators? 60 hours / week with only Shannon & Angelica
  • What is Lauryl asking for? We need more people to train people. The current people cannot fulfill the 60 hours per week.
  • Renee feels that we should have less people so that we have better communication. Why hire more when we would want someone to stay?
  • Why is the Hierarchy needed? Suggest to introduce a person under a trial period.
  • Justifying numbers : What is going to happen? What are we actively expecting for adding new coordinators
  • Benefits? Should we be paying benefits?
  • How many people is Lauryl asking to hire? 2 more

COMMENTS
The argument that the low pay is not a valuable job is not felt to be a valid argument

ACTIONS & SUGGESTIONS:

  • We need to come back with answers
  • Additional conversation should happen with committees (Gov., POP, Finance) & board. To discuss comments above and discuss membership numbers. Lauryl to coordinate
  • Having consistent staff is wonderful
  • Staffing has been consistent and there is a spread sheet

Staff & Member Labor Coverage sheet – current hours

Security Measures Updates (Christina)

  • Locks have been changed
  • Codes need to be changed
  • Security Cameras
    • 3rd Camera – add to back room / Design Build to fix/ RENE to coordinate
    • Footage reviewed – Tim Hamilton to review
  • Detectives
    • Did not contact
  • Insurance
    • Governance to look into new insurance
    • Insurance currently does not cover theft of cash.
  • Safe
    • Dan from Design Build installed
  • Deposit Procedure
    • Deposit to be made by store coordinator & store member
    • Working out procedures

Lease: 8:45 – 8:55 (5 mins) Keith

  • Keith is in discussion with Keysha.
  • Collymores have received a certified check
  • Next month Agenda: Terms of the lease
  • PSFC loan committee suggests we still have team looking for new locations should our lease be terminated early.
  • Finance has successfully submitted rent via certified mail
  • SUGGESTIONS: Have a committee to work issues of the lease / Ask PSFC to help

Bike Rack 9:15 – 9:25 (10 mins) (Notetaker)

  • Labor: We want to look at number increase and member increase / we have 60 members not working consistently (20%) / To get more enforcement / Chad is working on this

Closing 9:25 – 9:30 (5 min) (Notetaker)
Board review/approval: Board reviews votes at the end of each mtg

Agenda Items for Next Month

  • Nick Wong ([email protected]) would like to propose trike-based deliveries. He can not attend today’s meeting. If there’s interest, contact me via e-mail and I can research and draft up a proposal for next meeting.
  • Terms of the Lease
  • Hiring of New Store Coordinators?

Coop Holidays Hours

holiday hours