We are a food co-operative based in the vicinity of Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Bed Stuy and Prospect Heights, Brooklyn. We are a 100% working co-op—all members contribute two hours of work every four weeks. In return, we build a strong sense of community and enjoy prices that are significantly lower than for-profit grocery stores.
It’s basic to our mission as a co-op that we have a positive impact on and relationship with our community in every way possible. With this mission in mind:
- We value the spirit of cooperation and a democratic process in which each individual has a voice, and each member works to support the Co-op.
- We strive to offer a range of local, affordable, organic, and sustainable food.
- As neighbors, we strive to reflect the community in which we live and we actively work to ensure that the Co-op is accessible to all.
- We seek to develop the Co-op as an ethical entity, using transparent and socially responsible buying and selling practices.
Here’s a video with some background on the neighborhood that led to the idea to start
the Greene Hill Food Co-op:
Fort Greene and Clinton Hill community members discuss their food shopping strategies
at the Fort Greene Food Conference in October 2009.
Video by Meerkat Media: meerkatmedia.org
How to Join
Becoming a Co-op member requires:
- $175 Per Adult
Includes a one-time $150 investment in the Co-op, plus a nonrefundable $25 administrative fee for each adult in your household (payment plans are available).
- Work Commitment: Two Hours every Four Weeks
All Co-op Members commit to work two hours every four weeks after the store opens.
Co-op Members agree to view an Orientation video before working in the store.
To join or to view our payment options, visit the Join Us page.
To learn how the Co-op works, watch our orientation video. Required watchin’ for Co-op Members!